MID7015 microSD only? Or is microSDHC OK?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Searching for a microSD (my first) I saw this in NewEgg describing a Kingston microSDHC:

Compatible — with microSDHC host devices; not compatible with standard microSD-enabled device/readers
So I'm asking the experienced users here. Anyone using microSDHC? Issues?
Any preferred card from NewEgg or Amazon? (Can we go commercial here?)

Thanks.

Edit: OK I read the box. It says micro SD/SDHC.
Still any items to avoid?

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
No worries, Most microSD are also microSDHC. The use defines the size. HC just means High Capacity. Originally, SD cards were limited to a 4Gb ceiling in size. Thus a different standard and technology was introduced. This is the SDHC or MicroSDHC standard. You can use them without worry.

What is more important for consideration by some is the Class of the storage. Class numbers are normally even numbers. And the higher the numbers indicate the speed of the chips and transfer rate. The higher the class the better. Also the more money.
You can buy 8Gb MicroSD cards which are class 4 as low a $8USD. and a Class 10 8Gb MicroSD might cost almost $100USD.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Thanks gurgle,
I had noticed the class numbers. I saw class 10 is fast at about 10 MB/sec. 16GB for $30. But will the limit be the 800MHz processor? Will class 10 just be overkill?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Yuck! What a mis-adventure.
Best Buy sent me an email with a $20 coupon so I rushed to the store and got a 8GB microSDHC on sale for $19.99 - class 4.
I carefully read the Coby's manual:
"The metal contacts of the memory card should face up towards the LCD screen."
After 15 minutes of trying to insert the card and just watching the card wallow around in the slot I was about to give up then thought I might as well try it upside down, metal contacts down. And it worked. With a magnifying glass and a bright light I can see the tiny logo on the side shows metal contacts should be down.
I hate it with the f'n manual is wrong. RTFM for what?!
Soon I'll get up the nerve to do the system update...
Now it will be harder to convince my wife I really need that class 10 - 16GB card for $30 from NewEgg. :(