MID7024=Great use of videos?

Kara

May 2, 2011
I'm considering to buy coby mid7024, just for watching videos.
and unfortunately, I don't see any video codec specifications.
does it support xvid, h.264, mp4, avi, and etc?
And i wonder if it plays 720p and 1080p files.

well if it's not, i should go with galaxy tab

thx :D

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
so far it can play all the movie format i have except 1080p files..i dont have one to test.

Marty S.

Apr 15, 2011
Sooooo, I got my MID7024 out of the box last night and I tried to watch streaming movies from NetFlix and Xfinity (Comcast Cable), and was unsuccessful. I also tried to download movies from a couple of other sites but also couldn't see them on my 7024. I had downloaded Flash 10.2, but I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle, I think.

So, here are my questions:
  • Can I stream movies onto my 7024?
  • To watch movies, do I have to download them onto my PC then rip them into a specific format for the SD card?
  • Is there a preferred format?
  • If so, is there a preferred DVD ripper? (Maybe free in the appslib??)
  • Do I need something like Real Player or some other video software to watch movies on the 7024?
  • Do I need to format the SD card specifically for the 7024, or can I pull one out of my PC and use it directly?
I got this tablet to mostly watch movies and read books on business trips but I'm not seeing an intuitive way to do this -- what part of the process am I missing??????

Thanks in advance,

Marty S.
Washington, DC

Last edited:

rockdawg

Apr 19, 2011
Marty, I can answer a couple of your questions (based on my experience). And I realize that my answers may not help you at all.

Q: Do I need something like Real Player or some other video software to watch movies on the 7024?
A: I just use the built in video player and it works fine for me. I have ONLY used videos that are mp4 so far.

Q: Do I need to format the SD card specifically for the 7024, or can I pull one out of my PC and use it directly?
A: I use my 16GB microSDHC card interchangeably with my PC and my 7024. No problems.

I could provide some information on questions 2, 3 & 4. I have not tried to stream movies onto the 7024 at this time even we use Netflix. I have just assumed that it wouldn't work. That's terrible I know.

On question 2, since I have only downloaded MP4 and ripped existing movies to MP4, AND that particular format has worked fine, I haven't ventured out to try other encoders or containers. So question 3 for me becomes a non-issue.

For question 4, I have used several different rippers and converters on my PC. I can't imagine that a ripper/converter would work that well on this tablet. I would say it is preferred to rip and convert on your PC/Mac and transfer to microSDHC for your 7024.

I have downloaded quite a few books to read so far and have converted several I already own to epub format. Calibre works well for that (for the most part). PDF files also open up just fine ... my experience anyway. I'm sure you will get more experienced answers from others, but I at least wanted to put my 2 cents in.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Netflix and Hulu work great if you use Playon. Playon must be ran from a PC as a server and the Playon app runs on the tablet.

The Netflix app in the market is only for certain phones and Android version. Last checked there was no Hulu app.