MID8024 Official and Custom Roms thread. add your custom roms

elemist2

May 5, 2011
ok so there are not much custom roms for the MID8024. now that there is an official rom i think that that will be changing soon.

here is the download link from coby for the untouched stock rom
http://www.cobyusa.com/files/software/MID8024-Firmware.zip

well everybody this stock rom fixes the white screen issue and is a great building block for custom roms.

so post your custom roms for the mid8024 and get the ball rolling.

i will post a custom rom in a few hours after i finish it

Dan23669

Aug 6, 2011
FINALLY!!! Coby has come threw with the goods! This should really open things up on the dev front... I will donate $20 if we can get a Honeycomb port started. With gingerbread already running on similar hardware it shouldn't to hard to get that going.:cool:

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
FINALLY!!! Coby has come threw with the goods! This should really open things up on the dev front... I will donate $20 if we can get a Honeycomb port started. With gingerbread already running on similar hardware it shouldn't to hard to get that going.:cool:

Well I was trying to get a working Gingerbread going, based off some work of others on the forum, unfortunately I bricked my tablet in my attempt. If I get any further with it, I'll let you all know

elemist2

May 5, 2011
so i am in the process of figuring out how to modify these stock firmwares into being rooted when they are installed so no more messing with rooting. i am still working on a custom mid8024 froyo rom as i type this also. i may add the root to this one or i may just make a fresh copy thats rooted so people can modify it after that.

spillb

Jul 25, 2011
Can we get a tutorial on how to make a custom rom, Something where the information is all in one place?

elemist2

May 5, 2011
most of customizing roms is changing around system files and such. if you look up what you have to change to get the desired reaction you can usually figure stuff out. in the mid7024 rom thread i post a tutorial on how to modify .tgz files (its the second half of the tutorial) and thats mostly what im doing. i also use parts from other roms

Dan23669

Aug 6, 2011
Well I was trying to get a working Gingerbread going, based off some work of others on the forum, unfortunately I bricked my tablet in my attempt. If I get any further with it, I'll let you all know

Nef did you try to flash the official firmware 8024 from Coby to recover from brick? Can you get to recovery menu?

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Nef did you try to flash the official firmware 8024 from Coby to recover from brick? Can you get to recovery menu?

Well thats what I use to do when I got white screen, but this is different. I press the power button and it won't stay on, so I have to hold it down to keep it going, but even then, only the soft button key lights turn on, stay on about 7 seconds then shut off again. I get no recovery menu, the LCD itself doesn't even turn on. I tried some of the tutorials posted about reviving from a "Hard" brick but even those have not helped.

pyr0dud3

Aug 25, 2011
ok so there are not much custom roms for the MID8024. now that there is an official rom i think that that will be changing soon.

here is the download link from coby for the untouched stock rom
http://www.cobyusa.com/files/software/MID8024-Firmware.zip

well everybody this stock rom fixes the white screen issue and is a great building block for custom roms.

so post your custom roms for the mid8024 and get the ball rolling.

i will post a custom rom in a few hours after i finish it

Can anyone point me to a tutorial about creating custom roms for android using a stock rom as a starting point? I'll give it a whirl. Although having a working recovery is important.

Sent from my MB860 using Android Tablet Forum

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
ok i belive i rooted my custom firmware based on the stock mid8024 rom try it out and let me know what you think

MID8024 attempted root.rar

Can you change the custom ROM to work with a capacitive display (like the one in 1024)? My Coby Kyros MID 8027 (actually it is a MPMAN 827) is exactly the same as the MID 8024 only this one has a resistive display and mine has a capacitive. Could you change the 8024 ROM to work with a capacitive display? Is that easy to do? I bricked my tablet, installed the 8024 firmware, but the display "thinks" it is a resistive one and does not respond to touch (obviously... dum of me).

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Can you change the custom ROM to work with a capacitive display (like the one in 1024)? My Coby Kyros MID 8027 (actually it is a MPMAN 827) is exactly the same as the MID 8024 only this one has a resistive display and mine has a capacitive. Could you change the 8024 ROM to work with a capacitive display? Is that easy to do? I bricked my tablet, installed the 8024 firmware, but the display "thinks" it is a resistive one and does not respond to touch (obviously... dum of me).

I answered your question at your thread. Another solution is to use the 8024 firmware and replace the utmodules with the utmodules of 1024.

Instead of using board8024.tar use board1024.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024