Mini review of the Enspert Identity E201U tablet

rolexconfuse

Apr 5, 2011
So I have the tablet for 1 day now and here's my initial impression of the unit.

Build qaulity
Very nice much nicer than I thought it was going to be based on the pictures. The back is plastic (though looks like metal) but the edges around the entire tablet is aluminum. It's not built like an ipad but it feels close to being a mini -ipad. I dig how they used a cover to hide all the connections making the unit look clean and mininalistic. There is one problem though, the cover to the connections is not jointed to swivel. So to get access to the SD slot and HDMI, you have to open the cover, pull it out and then bend it back.

Front
There are 3 physical buttons on the of the tablet for home, back and menu. The buttons are not backlight and at first I thought that would be a problem (I had a elocity which was capacitive non backlight). But after using the tablet in the dark for 30 - 40 mins I found the missing backlight wasn't a killer as I could operate the buttons fine by feel.

Capacitive touch screen
Nice and responsive which I liked and unlike some of the other sub $300 capacitive tablets where the screen quickly flashes a highlights/select right before you scroll, the enspert does not do that. It scrolls up and down fine and only when you want to select something will it select it. Pinch to zoom works but nowwhere as smooth as apple's implementation (i haven't tried web surfing yet)

System
you can not rotated the main launcher. it's stuck in portrait mode. The screen will rotate within applications. I have to see if the auto rotate or even rotate works using launcher pro. The system feels pretty fast as of right now but I don't have much running on the system.

Screen
I think of all things this may be the most disappointing thing for me. The system does look pretty good but when you start loading up your own pics and videos you'll see that the color quality is not entirely there. Colors tend to be a bit washed out (faded appearance) I have brightness on 45 percent and black looks like very dark grey. That vivid green you get at the movies for the "previews" look faded. Fantastic 4 rise of the silver surfer, a pretty colorful and somewhat saturated movie looks nuetral on the enspert. If you have a picture with gradients you'll see some lines of banding depending on the gradients go. The enspert could have been smaller if the edge to screen was narrower but right now it's half an inch on all sides so you have a lot of wasted space. The narrowest edge to screen I've seen is on the Viewsonic Viewpad 7

Viewing angles are slightly above average from the left/right & top down. Bottom up is not that good. I'd say viewing angles are in line with the $299 price tag.

Movie playback
I tried playing some h264 mp4 files and not all of them played well. As far as I can tell any h264 files that are encoded using Main profile and below plays fine but if you use High profile then things start to fall apart. You get stuttering and choppiness in the video as well as some audio synch problems. I don't know if the problem is levels within the high profile or just in general with high profile (I'll have to test that out) I haven't try using the output but what's interesting is that they have an option for 1080p but the video playback only goes up to 720p (based on user manual).

Speakers, the speakers are okay, they won't win any loudness contests. If you plan on watching a movie with a few people you'll probably want to invest in a pair of portable speakers

Personally for me, if they had used a better qaulity screen or at least a screen comparable to the Archos 70 the enspert would have been awesome.

Audio
- untested at this time
Wi-FI - untested at this time

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the review. Did not know of the price drop it received. Looking forward for more information and awaiting more reviews. Did read part of ZDNet's Review: Identity Tab, 7-inch Froyo tablet with Android Market access | ZDNet, and was not convinced by the reviewer much, who evidently knows less about Android than I would like... Google mobiles apps do work, which sounds good and all.

I want to know if you can run Android System Info on it, or root the device at all.

rolexconfuse

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the review. Did not know of the price drop it received. Looking forward for more information and awaiting more reviews. Did read part of ZDNet's Review: Identity Tab, 7-inch Froyo tablet with Android Market access | ZDNet, and was not convinced by the reviewer much, who evidently knows less about Android than I would like... Google mobiles apps do work, which sounds good and all.

I want to know if you can run Android System Info on it, or root the device at all.

I'll try it and I'll post the results here.

From what I can tell the retail price in the us is $299.99