Miscellaneous Flame issues

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
I recently bought a Flame from tabletsprint.com. No problems with order or delivery. The tablet is a typical-looking 7", and I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as a comparison, both running 4.0.4 ICS.
Things I like and don't like:
HDMI output works well, but I wish there was a way to change orientation for some games that only run in portrait mode.
USB OTG cable is included, but when I plugged in a thumb drive, the system locked up. I shut down & re-started, and the flash drive was recognized..
The screen has great resolution, but text and icons are really small, even with fonts set to "huge" in settings. I tried a utility that changed the pixel per inch value, but this caused the system to be unstable.
Scrolling seems to be smoother on the Samsung. I noticed that the web browser seems to be particularly sluggish.
The tablet emits a click/pop sound when hibernating, tabletsprint says it is a "third party application" running in the background, and will be fixed in an update later.
Speaker volume is sometimes very low, especially playing videos.
Netflix from the Play store would install, but wouldn't run, so I had to sideload an custom apk.
Hulu+ installed fine, but if you select a video to play, it tries, then gives an error "Streaming Unavailable". So far, no fix.
In general, a decent tablet, but rough around the edges.
Has anyone else got one, and resolved any of these problems?

mysticdrew

Nov 27, 2012
I recently bought a Flame from tabletsprint.com. No problems with order or delivery.

Have you tried CM10 or the other custom roms available?

Also, did you get the 32gb version? I only see that version on tabletsprint (no 16gb) which I thought was weird since I've seen no mention of a 32gb version elsewhere... which then gave me some doubt whether tabletsprint was legit. However based on your post, looks like they are.

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
Yes, I got the "32GB" version. However, it is a 16GB internal with a supplied 16GB micro-SD card. I griped about that, but they said the description on their website clearly says that, (and it does - under "Model Highlights" it says, "32 GB Memory/1 GB Ram (16GB Internal Memory/16GB TFT Card)" so that seems to be correct. The tab was shipped & arrived pretty quickly, no major problems yet. I'm hoping that updates will arrive (like JB) and whatever causes the background "pop" when in hibernation.
Also, and it is apparently not Ainol's fault, there are issues with some streaming video sites. Amazon video will not play on my Novo 7, but WILL on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I am not sure why, but part may be the version of Flash. The Novo 7 comes stock with 10.2, and if you try to update , you get an error that says a different version of Flash with a conflicting signature is already installed, and you can't uninstall the 10.2 version, even though the tablet is rooted. Supposedly, rooting is also the reason Amazon won't play - their video looks for this when initializing the video stream. Lawyers - they just can't keep their hands out of things!
At any rate - I have not yet tried any custom ROM's, I'm trying to see what I can do with the stock setup.

Have you tried CM10 or the other custom roms available?

Also, did you get the 32gb version? I only see that version on tabletsprint (no 16gb) which I thought was weird since I've seen no mention of a 32gb version elsewhere... which then gave me some doubt whether tabletsprint was legit. However based on your post, looks like they are.