Movie file sizes to use with the Kyros?

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I have been using PavTube DVD Ripper to rip movies to watch on my Kyros. I have been ripping them into MP4. Most of the movies are 1GB to 1.5GB. As you can guess, with this file size you can't get too many on a memory card. Anyone know of a better file format to rip movies to that take up less room but still have decent picture quality?

Sorry if this is a "newbie" question. I am kind of new to ripping dvd's.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I actually like the .avi wrapper using xvid codec. I use viDrop after ripping. Even at 484x272 size at 25fps with 96kbs sound looks and sounds pretty darn good to me. Can get 90 minute movie down to 500mb.
Video quality/bitrate can be set as low as 650-700Kbps and WinX DVD Ripper can do the conversion directly without having to rip then convert again.

Last edited:

dasbooter

Feb 24, 2011
How are you playing xvids on the kyros. What did you install specifically. I use rock player on my nexus one.

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
I would shoot for the x264 codec instead of xvid simply because of the higher compression quality at lower bitrates. A good program I have found that would work best for convernting files is handbrake. Its user friendly and there are presets that should work right out of the box for the Kyros. I have about 10 HD movies on my Coby with resolutions from 1024x576 up to 1280x720 and the highest file size is around 900mb. They are mp4 files using the x264 codec and aac audio @ 64-112kbps. They look excellent and they don't take up much space on my 16gb card. The Video player I use is mVideo, it's free on the market and it has played everything that I have attempted to play. Also, file navigation is a breeze and it allows you to download covers for your movies via IMDB.