Movies on a tablet for novices

bowler866

Aug 11, 2010
Ok, I'm new to all this. I ordered my first tablet last night. I'm getting a WIIPad slim with Android 2.1. My question is, for this or any other tablet I end up getting, my wife or daughter will want to watch movies on it. What software is everyone using to convert, and what file format is most prevalent? Any advice or direction from anyone would be appreciated.

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
Depending on what hardware you have, you may be able to play certain videos while you can't play other videos. This is typically related to the bitrate and not necessarily the filetype... however, certain bitrates are often associated with certain file-types. For example, MKV is typically used for HD video (720p-1080p). AVIs were originally used for lower bitrate encodes, but now can be used for HD encodes as well.

The lower-mid range devices will often struggle with video: the low end devices won't play video at all and the mid-range devices can usually play standard definition video, but struggle with most HD video. I typically just play standard definition videos on my Moonse E-7001 -- it can play some HD AVIs, but the quality difference on such a small screen is minimal to me.

Hopefully with some of the better quality devices coming out soon, we will see better adoption for playback of high bitrate HD media (eg 720p-1080p).

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can read my earlier post, which sort of talks to your question. In Summary, I have come around to Xaueious recommendations in that thread. Use Media-Corder (Click on the Link) to Transcode your movies. What you will need to do is play with bit rate and whether you need to split your videos. I have found if I create too high of a bit rate, it goes into jerky freeze mode. Too low and you get fuzzy pixelation. I use MP4 for my ePAD, but you may have better luck with H.264 MKVs than I did. I also played about with frame rate. Remember to use the same frame rate or half it as close as possible for lower quality. NTSC (US) is 30, PAL (UK) is 25. Most YouTube FLVs are 15-20 frame rate which even when 720 do not have the clarity.

All I can suggest is download MediaCorder, Find the Frame Rate that matches your zone and the bit rate which gives you the best clarity without freezing.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Ok, I'm new to all this. I ordered my first tablet last night. I'm getting a WIIPad slim with Android 2.1. My question is, for this or any other tablet I end up getting, my wife or daughter will want to watch movies on it. What software is everyone using to convert, and what file format is most prevalent? Any advice or direction from anyone would be appreciated.

Best to get the max microSDHC which is for you: TF card, Flash Drives extend to 16GB Class (4) you might be able to get away with Class (2) on the Android 2.1 OS. Class (2 or 4) is measured in MB/sec more you can load up the faster the video will start and play. There is Class (6) that will cost dearly. MP4 will compress the video but the quality is very good. WMV (Windows Media Video does handle 1080p) uses less space. MKv is more popular, DivX AVI, Xvid AVI Most videos even if they're 1080p will play on 720p. There are some 1080p videos that are 5GB in size though. 2.5-3.5GB for 720p depends what your watching. The default player should be able to play the video if now there are plenty of free player.apk around.

twees

Jul 30, 2010
so i have the via wm8505 7'' tablet. i know that it sucks for video but i have been able to get one video to play lovely...evil dead! but i can't get any others to play. i get sound but no video. ive tried matching the specs to evil dead to transcode but it doesnt seem to work. any suggestions? in media coder what would be the best specs to get it to work on my tablet or what have people used with the tablet i have that have worked for you?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
i use any video converter and then select avi and put it on the lowest quality possible and it works and then i use the "video player" app by jeff hamilton in the market and it works great

twees i just pm you but i forgot to mention the video player app maybe that will help

twees

Jul 30, 2010
oh you use avis? i've been ripping them as mp4 and they are quite shite to be honest...but viewable lol.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
nope sorry twees i do use mp4's i just double checked because avi's didnt sound right. So i felt bad for maybe leading some down the wrong path earlier today so i took some time to night to try and refine the video conversion to make it run smoother and be synced better and this is what i came up with in any video converter select customize mp4 and then mess with the video and audio options this is what mine looked like. Test this out for yourself and see if it looks as clean to you as it does to me, and then let us know your findings. thanks
$video set.JPG

Last edited:

billycomic

Jan 3, 2011
I am having an issue trying to play movies. I have them in MP4 format and at one point, I was getting them to play. Now just getting a message that says "sorry unable to play video". Don't know what I did different because it was working. It also plays a MP4 Music video fine, but not the movies. I like this tablet, but need to be able to watch movies as I have a 5 year old who loves dispicable me. thanks

daveydog

Mar 2, 2011
These answers are exactly why the iPad is better. And I am an Android fan/user. But they have to solve the music/movie ease of purchase/download. They need gtunes or whatever they'll call it... otherwise people will continue to own ipods and pads even if they have droids... I'd love to get the HTC flyer but I want easy movie downloads with zero anything other than "click here to download."

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I use a combination of things, as I generally buy DVDs:

AnyDVD to rip to .ISO (for my home server)
Fair Use Wizard 2 for ripping to divx .avi (for portable devices)

I did register both of them, but it's been such a great combo for me I figured it was well worth it.

I've been using a cheap Class 2 16GB Micro SDHC card in mine and watching "regular" rips works just fine.
I don't own any HD content so I don't know about playing HD stuff from a Class 2 card.

These answers are exactly why the iPad is better. And I am an Android fan/user. But they have to solve the music/movie ease of purchase/download. They need gtunes or whatever they'll call it... otherwise people will continue to own ipods and pads even if they have droids... I'd love to get the HTC flyer but I want easy movie downloads with zero anything other than "click here to download."

Conversion is conversion is conversion.
iPad converts video via iTunes, so everyone is in the same boat.

Comparing the conversion of your own videos to purchasing them outright via a store is comparing, well...apples to oranges.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Last edited:

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
uhm, this IS the telechips section, right?
I can plug in my 500GB NTFS harddisk and play everything from my music colection (MP3, MP4, FLAC)
nearly everything from my video collection (AVI, MP4, MKV) with the expection of 1080p video with DTS Audio (videoplays fine but audio not) through HDMI.
show me one iPod that can do that?
the downside is that i have to use the internal Video player because it uses the Hardware accerleration best but does not support subtitles.

daveydog

Mar 2, 2011
see my point is: "WHAT?" I have no clue what you're talking about and neither does 95% of the population. AVI, MKV, FBI, KGB .this .that. Etc... I promise you I am not trying to stir things up, I really love android and I think it's better than ios... as things are now, I would not trade my droid for an iphone... but I'm in the market now for a tablet, and I'm torn. Don't like ios, but I want itunes on my tablet... because for me, it's easy. Its where all my music is, and I can buy movies, etc too... If google can solve this issue, they will wipe out or at least force apple to innovate again.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Ok, sorry i did not want to confuse you.

By now my m701 was able to play nearly anything that i tried to load on it without converting it.
The few things tha did not work where some few MP4 audio files (i guess heavily DPM protected)
and Video files with DTS (Digital Surround 6.1) audio.
I downloaded Anime from the web in .MKV, (hey, you guessed right, it was invented in russia) they are comonly encoded in H.264 video and audio is usualy in MP3. And it played it right from the spot.
I tried HD DVD rips in 1080p encoded with MKV, the video played fine but the Audio was in DTS(*3) and was not played.
Any video in .avi format (commonly used format for video releases on the web) where played without a problem.

h.264 is a codec that is supported by the hardware of many pads and allows to play video with up to 1080p resolution on Telechips pads (on Rockchip pads only up to 720p)

1080p means 'with 1080 pixel vertical resolution'. That is ridiculous on a screen that has only 480 pixel vertical resolution but makes sense with a HDMI output or if you do not want to convert movies. (the 'p' in the end does not mean pixel but i think we do not need that here)

Just copy/paste/play. No converting, no buying in online shops, no limitation to certain file formats, syncing software or number of copys.

And i hope it is more like 40% or less (sorry again)

mkv ~= Cartoons
avi ~= Movies
mp3 ~= Music
everything else is exotic to me and can be googled. '^^

But since you are comparing these Pads to an iPad... DONT!
The iPad is much more powerful, better designed and optimized.
These Telechips pads cant play Flash so cant the iPad. These pads can output Video in very high quality via HDMI, i dont know if the iPad can do something similar.
In every other aspect the iPad is superior.
If you want something that can be nearly on the same level you need to look for the Pads with capacitive touchscreen and at least Cortex A8 or better processor.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Android 2.2 , 10.1 flash . with Nvidia Tegra II 250 dual processor has the best video and movie hardware I have seen, I just hooked up with Free Online movies trial , for 30 days at Amazon Prime, they are HD 1080 on my Elocity A7,($299) The Movies are smooth, and sound is great, I use a external hamburger Mini speaker with Bass and treble combo from e bay, $4.95 & free shipping, Angry birds and other videos also work flawlessly. I recommend going to a electronic store and trying one out.