Moving Apps to SD Card

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
Just got off the phone with Coby, and it appears that you cannot move apps to the external SD card. While the app shows items to be on the card, using USB connect and direct read of the card in a card reader never shows them on the external media. I even switched media (8GB for a 32GB card) and the apps ran and showed as being on the smaller sd card. Coby confirms that these apps probably don't work on our devices (have a 7127, returned a 7022...both same problem). It seems that the external media are only good for things that we download or preload like music, videos, etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
On most tablets, the folder "/sdcard" is mapped to a partition in the internal microSD. You can use normal app2sd to move apps to this partition. If you want to use the actual external SD card, then you need something like link2SD. There is a thread about configuring it on a 7022 that may help.

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011
You're kidding. I'm using App 2d or whatever that thing is to move stuff to the "sd card". Are you saying that's not really happening? Is that why I'm always low on storage? That's kind of ridiculous.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
You're kidding. I'm using App 2d or whatever that thing is to move stuff to the "sd card". Are you saying that's not really happening? Is that why I'm always low on storage? That's kind of ridiculous.

This is how it works with Kyros tablets (all models I know). The /sdcard folder is actually a partition of the internal microSD. If you really want to use the external microSD (/extsd on Kyros MIDx024) then you need do some hacking...

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
You can probably use the same method that is stickied in the technical sub forum for link2sd 7022. You can probably even use the same vold.fstab that I have posted in there to get it to work. Definitely make a backup before you try it. If it works let us know so others with the same tablets will know.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Moving apps to the nand via
"Move to sd" card option will free up space on the data partition. They are indeed moved so make sure to move all apps that allow you to

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011
Moving apps to the nand via
"Move to sd" card option will free up space on the data partition. They are indeed moved so make sure to move all apps that allow you to

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Well, but from what I've read on here, even though it surely seems like you are moving the files, you aren't actually moving them to the sd card, which is a huge bummer.

Teatime

Nov 2, 2011
Interesting. So, when it says the tablet storage is expandable to 32 Gb, what does that really mean?

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011
Interesting. So, when it says the tablet storage is expandable to 32 Gb, what does that really mean?

Indeed. I sent Coby an email expressing my disappointment and indicating that I thought it was false advertising and asking them for a fix or refund. Honestly, I'm already showing low disk space and my tablet is moving slowly and buggily. We'll see what kind of response I get.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
All tablets that have an internal microSD behave the same way... Check Vizio, for instance. I don't think it's a "bug" or something like this. If you add an external card, then you have extra space to add content. It doesn't mean it will expand the internal capacity. Complaining about this to the manufacturer makes no sense IMHO...

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
All tablets that have an internal microSD behave the same way... Check Vizio, for instance. I don't think it's a "bug" or something like this. If you add an external card, then you have extra space to add content. It doesn't mean it will expand the internal capacity. Complaining about this to the manufacturer makes no sense IMHO...

thats what i would think. its like adding an external usb drive to your PC. it doesnt expand your C drive, but just adds an additional location to store stuff

but i do get what people as saying and it makes sense. there should be a way to tell an app to install to the added SD card and not the internal one, my cell phone even asks that

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
thats what i would think. its like adding an external usb drive to your PC. it doesnt expand your C drive, but just adds an additional location to store stuff

but i do get what people as saying and it makes sense. there should be a way to tell an app to install to the added SD card and not the internal one, my cell phone even asks that

There are:
1. link2sd
2. a mod in the init file that treats the external SD as the /sdcard partition for some apps

Both are "hacks", but both work (in a different extend).