Moving Files From Droid X to Tablet

IamGod2U

Jul 27, 2011
Good morning. I am finally getting comfortable with my A500 and the differences in the file system layout, vs my only other Android device. Getting Netflix working yesterday also greatly improved the experience... thank you for that, forum.

Now I would like to transfer some music, photos, videos from my Droid X to my tablet and I can't figure out how best to do that. I tried a direct USB connection, but then couldn't find my phone's drive in the tablet, no matter which settings I chose on the X from the USB menu... I was wondering if someone could offer some ideas on settings/locations where that might work.

Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yeah, that doesn't work with my Nexus One either. In fact my Nexus rebooted itself.!!! :mad:

Its probably the Droid is not really a true USB device but rather a MTP device.
Plug the Droid into windows and see if you can map a drive letter to it. if not, its almost certainly presenting itself as a MTP device.

In that case, you probably have to send cable them both to computer and then use explorer to drag and drop (into appropriate directories of course).
You might want to get ES File Explorer on the tablet if you subsequently want to move them to the MicroSD card of the Tablet.
This can be done a lot faster if you have a MicroSD-to-USB adapter for your microsd cards.

IamGod2U

Jul 27, 2011
There is a corresponding drive letter to my Droid X, but not the tablet.

There has got to be an easier way to move files to the tablet from the phone or PC.
I haven't seen one yet. Using Dropbox is silly... there should be drag and drop to the micro SD card... I don't get why that isn't there.

Even USB flash drives don't work most of the time if they are used in PC's, which is how you would get the info from the PC to put on the drive to transfer to the tablet....

Why is all of this (and Netflix and HBO Go) working and so much easier on my Android phone, but not my tablet? Should Honeycomb be everything Gingerbread is, only better?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Wait, what?

USB Flash drives don't work?

I've never found one that WOULDN'T work on my tablet.

How are you formatting these USB flash drives that they don't work? Just about every one you can buy comes from the Factory formatted Fat32, and that is exactly what the Acer requires. You would have to go out of your way to format them in any other format. Even Windows 7 recommends Fag32 for this type of drive.

fgdn17

Jul 29, 2011
don't know about "easier way" but have faced these issues with my htc evo and my viewpad 10...

1st - they are both Android devices so they BOTH use ADB(google it and install the android sdk)

before I got the tablet I just installed the sdk on my win7 system, set disk mode on my evo, plugged it
in with usb cable, sees it as just another disk and it lets me do just about anything I need to on the evo ..get files/put files/etc.

after getting the tablet went to a different solution....USE ADB over my tablet wireless connection(have wireless router with other systems hard wired)

when using that solution to get/put files to tablet added an APP adbWireless to evo phone so I can now do the same with the evo

both when hooked to my wireless router can be accessed using ADB....

so that is a possible way you could get your files back and forth...it just works because most Android devices are listening
on a port with ADB....

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
ADB is not normally listening on a wireless port in any android device. If it were it would be a horrible security risk.

You need root for this, and leaving adbd running on the device is just asking to be hacked because wifi scan will find it.

fgdn17

Jul 29, 2011
well..didn't want to get into all the details..but if there is an "easier way" fine offer it up...everyone has their way of doing
things...

"normally listening on a wireless port in any android device. If it were it would be a horrible security risk." Agreed..that's why you have wpa2/wep/radius/etc. and various forms of then to make sure it isn't a security risk...

so instead of saying it's "always running to keep it simple" anyone who really wants the details can read here:(note the daemon, which runs as a background process on your
device, guess that's why mine just works...LOL)

ref: Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

What is ADB? - SlateDroid.com