Mr. Old School Got an Android Tablet

tlc1976

Oct 12, 2013
Hello. I'm new here. So a little about me, I live in the sticks of northwest lower Michigan. All I can get here is dialup or satellite which is very expensive so I keep the dialup. I run a desktop with Win2k. My cell is a basic Tracfone that I barely use. I drive 20+ year old cars, still use big dish TV, etc.... Most of my money goes to my kid's mom, I'm sure some of you can relate. I'm an engineer with a degree and was good with computers at one time but this new tech has passed me by.

So anyway I won this 7" Android tablet at a work party. Digix TAB-730. I've completed Angry Birds. And have taken it with me on the road to surf public sites at restaurants. I'd like to do more with it but have a couple basic questions first.

1. I'd like to connect it to my computer to transfer MP3s and then use it as a portable music player. My computer says it needs a driver. I emailed Digix and they said it should work on 2k the same as XP. So I tried downloading the USB driver from their site listed with this tablet and it doesn't say it's the right one.

2. I'd like to do more with it on the road, but I am very leery of hackers. I've already had my bank account broken into a few years ago, and I knew someone who had her droid hacked in January. So before I do anything on this tablet that requires input of any personal information, I want to take some steps to secure it.

I'm totally new at this, I don't know much about wireless networks or what it means to root an android or really much of anything here. So if there is a good place to read up on some of the basics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
The subject of rooting may be a bit early in the game, but there is a good chance it is rooted already...
Install Terminal Emulator and once running, type 'su'.
If it changes the prompt or otherwise doesn't whine and complain then it already has it.
:D

EDIT:

When you connect it to the PC, does the tablet say something about 'USB connected'? If so, press on that and it should show you another screen with ENABLE USB... When you enable it that might help the PC to find the proper driver (mine took a LONG time to search). You will know if folders start popping up on the screen.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm totally new at this, I don't know much about wireless networks or what it means to root an android or really much of anything here. So if there is a good place to read up on some of the basics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Hello tlc, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Digix TAB-730. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.

Unfortunately, there isn't a forum specifically for your tablet. If/when you have a problem or a question, the Android Tablet Q&A section would be the place to go. I'm moving this thread there for you, because more people are likely to join the discussion there and try to help you out.

Enjoy that new tablet and the forum!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
To do just about anything with the tablet you will have to bite the bullet and upgrade your PC's operating system to Windows XP at minimum. The good news here is that the one thing you're currently looking to do - transfer files from the PC to the tablet - shouldn't require any drivers as the tablet should be seen by Windows as a mass storage device.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
you wrote:

1. I'd like to connect it to my computer to transfer MP3s and then use it as a portable music player. My computer says it needs a driver. I emailed Digix and they said it should work on 2k the same as XP. So I tried downloading the USB driver from their site listed with this tablet and it doesn't say it's the right one.

You might try forcing acceptance of the driver. It may or may not work. But another solution is to get a micro-sd card and adapter (got my 8gb for less than $10) and copy your mp3's to the micro-sd and then install it in the tablet.

Another solution for tablet to computer communications is to run a ubuntu linux live cd. No system upgrade required. ubuntu has the tablet drivers built-in. ubuntu is free

Last edited:

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
And another option for transferring files from PC to Android tablet is AirDroid app. I use it and works great!.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
And another option for transferring files from PC to Android tablet is AirDroid app. I use it and works great!.

I agree about airdrop, but the op is on dialup. Now its possible he has a wireless network, but doubtful.