My 9742 Is Down For The Count

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It figures something would happen to my device after the warranty expired. The touchscreen developed a fault and now has a dead zone on the right side from top to bottom of the screen. This fault affects the ability to unlock the tablet, though if I press down hard enough I can get the tablet unlocked. However, most other functions are affected.

I'll be disassembling my device to see if it's something simple on the motherboard, but it's a good bet it won't be something simple, so I'll be in the market for another device, likely a Lenovo A2109, since it's in the same form factor.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If I have to replace the digitizer then that will be a project to attempt after getting a new device, since the roommate could always use a backup unit.

You have the 2109. How do you like it?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The 2109 is the best tablet I have owned, I want Lenovo to release 4.2 then this would be a great tablet, the tablet does have 4.1 JB, I would just like 4.2. Other than that the tablet is turn key ie needs nothing, very fast powerful tablet.

What is your take on this tablet? real or fake ad? I know nothing of windows 8 but can it be installed on an allwinner?

Coby Kyros 9 7" Capacitive Multi Touch Tablet 9742 w Android Windows 8 610696370037 | eBay

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I saw that one when I was looking for defective Cobys earlier. The guy in question simply threw Windows 8 in the title to get hits. Windows 8 RT, if it was available separately, could conceivably run on Android hardware, but it's honestly not worth the effort. Not when the Android world has people who create Windows 8 and iPhone/iPad launchers for Android.

As an update to my issue, I opened my Coby. The manufacturer applied epoxy to the digitizer slot, specifically to prevent the arms that lock the ribbon cable in place from moving. Whether it was because the arms loosen up or not I don't know. But I peeled that off, pulled the digitzer and screen off, then removed the screen. The digitizer looked fine, but with a faulty digitizer that doesn't mean anything. So I put the tablet back together. Tested the digitizer and all seems to be working fine now. Best I can fathom is that a piece of grit, either a stray blob of epoxy or a piece of grit from my house, somehow got lodged in the ribbon cable port on the motherboard and when I removed the cable the grit came out as well.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the info.

I bought a used one today, for $35 ads states no charger and doesn't power up other than that it's suppose to be fine, I will know when I get it.

Coby MID9742 8GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7in - Black

2 Coby MID9742 8GB Wi Fi 9 7in Black 610696370037 | eBay

No charger, unit does not power on. For sale as is.

My goal if possible to fix tablet via livesuite, upgrade to jellybean then resell for $100.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm willing to bet the seller didn't think to plug in the miniUSB to see if he could get power that way.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I got my tablet today, well seems I got two tablets, I missed read the sale it was a lot of two, So I got both 9742 tablets for $35 that's $17.50 each, They both look good, both have life one just makes clicking sound when I press power, the other turns on but has black screen. I am going to livesuite them and see what happens, I also got a 1042 coming in tomorrow I paid $34 plus 10.40 shipping for it. Coby Kyros MID1042 8GB Wi Fi 10 1in Black as Is 716829714218 | eBay

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Got one working 100% just need to add playstore, other tablet works but black screen back light is either unplugged or damaged, have to wait for tool set I ordered before I can take tablet apart I don't have any small tools.