My complete thoughts on the vTab as of now

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
Woah putting my opinion out there. That's a first! (please be aware of my sarcasm here)
Anyways, onto a serious note, this is my complete thoughts post on the vTab as of now. I may update/edit it whenever more stuff comes.

On with it!

Sept. 16th 2012

So a few days ago, my usb port on my vtab kind of uh, broke. In order to charge it, you have to keep it in a certain position and you cannot even make any movements near it or it won't charge. I still have a factory warranty, but I'm scared of getting a tablet that prevents my honeycomb downgrade method.

Anyways, I see a few people working on mock root update.zips - I've seen this before my guide post, but it seems like a few more are trying after it, so below are The things I'd like to see in the new root.zip!
  • Getting rid of the Update service app file. If you can remove it from the install somehow, do it. It's unnecessary for us if we're rooting our tabs. Shall we need to update it, we can use Android System Recovery's update via sdcard method. Same goes for unrooting.
  • Replacing the default nasty launcher with GoLauncher or something compatible
  • IF POSSIBLE - A wallpaper option in the menu. Most likely not possible but if anyone could do that, that would make my day.
  • Another nice thing would be to offer a guide to get rid of the (in my opinion ugly) vizio UI and replace it with a stock one, or at least a nicer looking and less sluggish one.
That just about sums it up, for now.
Also, I'm sick of people putting this tablet down because "It's too slow". Hey, here's a fact; You see those nifty i5 and i3 powered laptops? I'm still on an older C2D Sony Vaio, and a really old Centrino system. Does it slow me down? Yeah, of course. Does it prevent me from doing things? Yes, but it's still good for most things I do. The vizio makes no difference, as a fact, I believe it's a very good tablet for modders to work on. Slow and cheap, as well as not as good as the newer top of the line tablets out there? Sure, but they will all have their time like the vizio does. The vizio is a cheap yet good alternative for beginners before buying a nice 'n fancy acer tablet and bricking it.

Sorry for such a rant for part 1, but you know.

Reply please! I'd like to hear your input too! Hopefully I'll be getting my port fixed so I can go back with experimenting with it, when I'm finished with my assignments.

Sept. 24th 2012

Attempting to contact Vizio Support for a warranty repair and to buy the extended warranty. One upside to Vizio is their great warranty service; from what I heard anyways.

Last edited:

edgar.poodle

Sep 19, 2012
I bought two at biglots (refurbs). Actually applied the honeycomb update. Yep they're not the fastest. Yep there are some things I'd like to change. Yep the documentation really blows. But they where very affordable when compared to most anything out there. I've bought Vizio TV's (4 but I broke one - all my fault) and am quite satisfied with them as well. The only "issue" I have is, like you, the wallpaper thing. The built in user manual (app) says to press the customize button on the top-right. Ain't no such thing. It also mentions other buttons (like search) should be on at the top. Again, not there. The "What's New in Honeycomb" video is a joke. But hey, these are first world problems. The tablets do what we want. They're pretty good email readers and make a fairly decent Kindle reader. I tried Skype, but every time a "call" came in the unit did a hard reset. Oh well, the supplied Talk app does pretty much the same thing and works. I probably will play with rooting at some time. Again, the things are cheap enough. I wonder when we'll see the 10" model.

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
I have had mine for over a year now.

I am not rooted.

I use the external launchers like Go Launcher to change the "feel", which works very well for me.

I use mine for basic internet stuff, plus reading books. I have read more books in the past year than I have in the last 10 years. It's so much more handy to use a tablet than carrying a book around.

For me, the vTab was great cause, well, to borrow a line from CrApple Fanboi's, it just works. Always has, and hopefully will for many days to come

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
For me, the vTab was great cause, well, to borrow a line from CrApple Fanboi's, it just works. Always has, and hopefully will for many days to come

I like Apple products. I like iOS and OS X. I also like Windows XP, Vista, and 7. I also like android.
We're not ALL that snarky ;)

Tametra

Sep 22, 2012
I just got my vtab1008 yesterday and my hardware touch sensitive buttons dont work (home, back, menu). Is anyone else having this issue? Or know how to fix it?

Elitewolf135

Sep 10, 2012
honeycomb. there is an update i did not do though..

Hi Tametra.
The sad news is that you are stuck with the on-screen buttons if you'd like to stick with honeycomb. I personally had a bad experiance with the glitches on honeycomb, and I also hated the on screen buttons. I use my vTab for graphics work, and I need the entire screen.
I set out on a quest to figure out how to downgrade it. My guide can be found here. Just note that when you downgrade, you will lose all current apps. The upside is a stable system with your hardware buttons back.

Please post back with updates. If you need any assistance, I'd be happy to help you.
Good luck!
~wolf135

omaralegria

Oct 10, 2012
I got my VTAB last christmas and maybe played with it about two or three times and literally never picked it up again until 2 weeks ago. I realize now that because I was "new" to the tablet concept in general and maybe compared the VTAB to the APPLE standard I did not appreciate it. In the last two weeks, I have fallen in love with this tablet for the first time. I have become more aware of its capabilities and realize now how many other crappy tablets there are out there on the market. Overall, this is a solid product. I have been streaming my favorite shows online (i.e.walking dead) and was watching the boardwalk empire show until the honeycomb upgrade rendered my HBO app useless. Anyway, this product is good enough for what i need. Not the fastest but decent. Resolution is good (as good as IPAD) and basic things like checking email, surfing net, and playing games can be done with ease. Therefore, I am happy as a customer. I am looking foward to the next generation and this experience has confirmed the fact that VIZIO is a player in the tablet market and they are unique in what they do (look at the universal remote app). For these reasons, i would recommend this product for frist time buyers or second time buyers who had a bad experience

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Tametra.
The sad news is that you are stuck with the on-screen buttons if you'd like to stick with honeycomb. I personally had a bad experiance with the glitches on honeycomb, and I also hated the on screen buttons. I use my vTab for graphics work, and I need the entire screen.
I set out on a quest to figure out how to downgrade it. My guide can be found here. Just note that when you downgrade, you will lose all current apps. The upside is a stable system with your hardware buttons back.

Please post back with updates. If you need any assistance, I'd be happy to help you.
Good luck!
~wolf135

Thanks for the info in your above post and I'll give that a shot pretty soon.

I have been so frustrated with my HC VTAB1008 that the only time I use it now is to record radio with the TuneIn Radio Pro application.

I used to use my GB VTAB1008 for youtube videos but after HC update I would end up with a white screen of death in less than 3 minutes of watching youtube videos. And if it does not give me the white screen of death then it just hangs for a long time until I gave up on it.

I even setup a website just to let others see if they get the "White Screen of Death" at:
Vizio's "White Screen of Death" on the Honeycomb VTAB1008

Thanks again.

Last edited: