My WiFi problem solved

shirts_w

Jan 4, 2012
My first post, hope I do it correctly.

Long story kept short: Bought a WM8650 based 8" 4x3 screen tablet (green & red lights) a few weeks ago, WiFi worked ok at first and stopped working over a period of a few days. Tried everything I could think of to no avail. Contacted the seller who suggested a couple more things to try including 'Factory Data' reset (Settings - Privacy - Factory reset) also to no avail. I then returned it to the seller who checked the WiFi with their setup and said it was working ok and they suggested a compatibility problem with my router, however they sent me a replacement new unit.

I had the same WiFi problem with the new unit. My wireless network was listed and shown as remembered. The signal strength was shown as good or excellent but when I clicked to connect it showed 'connecting' at the top of the screen for a while then showed disconnected at the top of the screen. In the list of wireless networks it then showed my network as not in range. In this situation it also said 'unable to scan' if I tried to do that.

I tried many different settings on my router (D-Link 2680 from Talk Talk) e.g.WPA, WEP, and open, and finally found that the setting causing the problem was having my wireless network name (SSID) as 'hidden'. When I changed this to not hidden (i.e. normal) my tablet WiFi connected ok and has been working ok now for a couple of weeks.

I hope this info may help others having WiFi problems.

good luck!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for posting, that might help some folks.

theodorix

Apr 18, 2012
Hi I have a similar issue with my 2.2.1 tablet were I got access to wifi from work and personal hotspot from my phone but when it comes to my home router is not connecting, while in the same time my laptop and phone both work at home. I've tried to use a static IP still not work, tried to name gateway and dns1 & 2 but still not connecting. Also changed from 11 channels to 13, same result, no carrier! Any ideas?

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
If you can, alter router settings from b/g/n to b/g only. This worked for me

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

theodorix

Apr 18, 2012
OK thanks, tried b only, tried g only, tried b+g and still no result; I am on WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption... any other ideas?

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
OK thanks, tried b only, tried g only, tried b+g and still no result; I am on WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption... any other ideas?

I think your security settings are the problem. It seems they only work with WEP or no security. That's why no problem with public access wifi such as McDonald's, Starbucks, library, etc.