NAVIGATION w/ NO WIFI ?

DIRTYLOUD

May 30, 2013
Hi All,
I'm in the process of purchasing a tablet (dont know which one yet) for my genesis coupe and have questions before doing so. Now, this tablet will be installed into my car so there will be NO WIFI available for this tablet. I want a tablet over a normal standalone GPS unit because with the tablet i am able to download apps to use for my vehicle.

Is it possible for a tablet to have GPS function just like a garmin or something along those lines where it shows me realtime driving down the street and has the street names displayed as I come up to them? Pretty much showing the little arrow (car) driving down the street in real time WITHOUT having a wifi connection? I do NOT use GPS for inputing addresses and finding the route to and from this place, i just use the Navigation feature for real time driving to know which street is coming up so i know which street i turn at.

Is this possible? I pretty much want my tablet to function like a standalone garmin GPS unit i would buy in the stores as these units don't use WIFI.

Thanks for your time.

$IMAG0243.jpg

:)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
A Navfree USA, I am a construction work, so travel alot. Navfree USA is the best.

DIRTYLOUD

May 30, 2013
A Navfree USA, I am a construction work, so travel alot. Navfree USA is the best.

Awesome! Thanks for that info! I believe this is what I'm looking for. Now just to confirm so im 100% sure, This will allow real time of me just driving down the street correct without any destinations inputed as i never use the navigation for directions, just like to see the little arrow "car" driving down the road and the upcoming streets.

Thanks!

ALSO, what 7" tablet would this work on? I'm most likely going to be purchasing used so Im not looking for the newest model out.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I have Navfree on my Dell Streak and it works very well. It won't replace my Garmin, but it does an excellent job for the price.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I use both navfree and garmin, I had to buy a garmin when I sent my a2109 in for repairs. My ideal was just to use the garmin until my tablet was fixed then return the garmin for my money back. But decided to keep the garmin, it connects to gps faster, I use almost same maps on both.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 using Android Tablet

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The main reason the Garmin is faster in getting a signal is that it stores the ephemeris data (satellite locations) in memory and updates that data by "predicting" where the satellites will be in the future. While the A2109 has AGPS which speeds up signal acquisition, it has to download new ephemeris data every time a GPS app starts, thus it's slower starting up. Keep in mind however that if you leave the GPS off for an extended period it will have download the data again, which will slow it down.

I frequent a GPS enthusiast site where we discuss stuff like this.