Navitech case review

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Im posting this because it was requested from someone in a different thread.

I live in the USA and had ordered the black Navitech Acer Iconia A500 case from a UK seller through the Amazon UK website.
Navitech Black Executive Premium Leather Flip Carry: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I already wrote a review on the Amazon page, but I will copy it here as well (below). It should give you all you need to know if you are interested in purchasing this case, especially if you live elsewhere in the world besides the UK.

My suggestion is this: If you want a cheap, but fairly nice looking case, then instead of spending $100+ USD on the overly priced (IMO) PDAir cases, this one will make a very nice "knock off."
If you are like me and are desperately searching for a case that leaves the memory card slot accessible, then you could still at least consider this case. Despite the pictures (which are not of the actual item) on the Amazon page, the case does not give memory card access, BUT the case is very easy to remove, so pulling it out to swap memory cards is effortless.
If you want a case with magnets that hold the flap down really well, then just be advised that this case's magnets absolutely SUCK and cant hold sh**.

Now for the review I wrote on the Amazon page:
First and foremost, the only reason why I bought this tablet case was due to the fact that the pictures show the case having direct access to the memory card slot (meaning that it isn't being covered by the actual case). Once I received the case, it looks similar, yet very different from the pictures shown on the Amazon sales page. The memory card slot is directly covered up for one thing, but there are additional minor differences as well.

Secondly, the magnets on this case might as well not even be there because they are completely useless and do not hold the flap at all.

Now for the good things about this case:
It is much cheaper than other cases I have found around on the internet, such as the overpriced PDAir cases.

Although the case covers up the memory card slot on the tablet, the tablet can be removed from the case effortlessly, so if you need to change your memory card, you can at least do it without too much trouble. I had also tried the official Acer cover, which also covered up the memory card slot, and it fitted so tightly that removing the tablet was actually scary! I was afraid of grabbing the tablet too hard and breaking the glass in! At least this cover is not like that.

Overall, this case is OK. It protects the tablet and allows you to easily remove it if needed, but I was really wanting a case that had access to the memory card slot. The material seems a bit cheap, but it MAY stay strong with use (only time can tell though). The magnets are absolutely worthless though and it is surprising to me that they are even there.
Above all, the thing that disappoints me most is that the seller is lieing to their customers by posting pictures that are not of the actual tablet case.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Here are some photos I took. Forgive me if some are a bit blurry, but I realized after doing it all that I had the Image Stabilizer option enabled, which usually blurs some photos. I didnt have the time to go back and redo them all.

Attachments

• $DSC_0015.jpg
    $DSC_0015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,655
  • $DSC_0013.jpg
    $DSC_0013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,779
  • $DSC_0016.jpg
    $DSC_0016.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 1,634
  • $DSC_0018.jpg
    $DSC_0018.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 1,598
  • $DSC_0021.jpg
    $DSC_0021.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 1,648

spexwood

May 11, 2011
More pictures.

The first one is from the Amazon page, showing how it has the memory card slot revealed. The second one is of the actual case and how it DOES NOT have the memory card slot revealed.

The rest are self explanatory I think.

Attachments

• $DSC_0022.jpg
    $DSC_0022.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 1,576
  • $DSC_0027.jpg
    $DSC_0027.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,553
  • $DSC_0025.jpg
    $DSC_0025.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,519
  • $DSC_0024.jpg
    $DSC_0024.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 1,548
  • $41x7XqJngzL.jpg
    $41x7XqJngzL.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,636

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
<sigh> I just ordered that case ... and it's due in by the middle of next month. As with you, the reason I wanted that case was because the memory card slot was open. If it's easy to remove, it's better than the Acer (and cheaper as well)! But, I wouldn't have ordered it had I known ... and I judged by the pics they provided.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
<sigh> I just ordered that case ... and it's due in by the middle of next month. As with you, the reason I wanted that case was because the memory card slot was open. If it's easy to remove, it's better than the Acer (and cheaper as well)! But, I wouldn't have ordered it had I known ... and I judged by the pics they provided.

Ditto, that's very disappointing

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Im kinda debating if I should file a claim against the seller for misleading me (and all other buyers like you all). Posting incorrect pictures is wrong and I am sure that they would get a spanking from Amazon if they found out.

I dont know if I should keep the case and ask for a discount, or return it altogether... especially since the Acer one is crap (IMO, but too tight and no memory card access), and the PDAir ones are overly priced (but has memory card access). I already left the negative review (2 stars I think), as well as a negative seller feedback (2 stars), so I am hoping that they contact me first to resolve the issue :/
If not, then it would be up to me to make the first move.

BTW, I am sorry that you all fell for it too, but PLEASE let us here know if your case is different, especially with the memory card slot and magnets. It could always be possible that they sent me a faulty unit or older model or something.

SmoothSnake

May 18, 2011
Mine is coming very soon too, I ordered the same one but from the US Amazon site.....will post a comment when it arrives to confirm if the same issues exist

spexwood

May 11, 2011
No matter what, the case I received is messed up with the magnets and all. I think the poles of the magnets are backwards or something, which would explain why they do not attract each other, but it also explains a strange symptom my tablet has been doing all day (by the way, I put the case on for the first time this morning). Whenever the case is on, the tablet either shuts off randomly, or restarts. It has never done this before!

I have tested it over and over again, with the case on and off. Whenever the case is off, I have no problems. When it is on, it has the problems. It's really weird and I wonder if the magnets have something to do with it.

Besides that, I never thought that having the magnets not "stick" would bug me so much. Also, the only reason I bought this particular case was for the price + memory card slot.

Long explanation short, I have decided to force the seller to refund my money + shipping, AS WELL as paying to have to item returned... you know, since they lied and all.
I am just gonna skin my tablet (already have a screen protector) and use a netbook case that I already have in which the tablet fits PERFECTLY.

I do hope that you all dont get scammed too when you get your orders. If you do run into the same problem as me, it is up to you as to whether or not you want to keep the case, but if you want a refund, I recommend that you be strong with your refund request and if they refuse (or want to charge you a restocking fee) then file an Amazon claim against them. Posting false pictures is not right!

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I do hope that you all dont get scammed too when you get your orders. If you do run into the same problem as me, it is up to you as to whether or not you want to keep the case, but if you want a refund, I recommend that you be strong with your refund request and if they refuse (or want to charge you a restocking fee) then file an Amazon claim against them. Posting false pictures is not right!

Please keep us advised on the steps you are taking to return the case with no fees and return shipment paid by the seller. I too have ordered the case and just got an e-mail saying it shipped. If it is the same as what you got then I would also want to send it back at no charge to me. I think there are many others who may in the same situation!

Thanks,
Gerry

spexwood

May 11, 2011
gerryex:
Since you asked, I will go ahead and say that this seller may be quite dishonest, or they come off as being so through their emails. As mentioned earlier, I posted a review for this product on the sales page. From the way they are wording their emails, they are giving me the following two options: 1) Keep the case for free (Yay? But I dont care honestly -_-') as shipping it back to the UK from the USA would be too great of a price (meaning that the cost of getting the item back would be greater than losing the item for free), but I must change my review in order to get a refund. Or, 2) Keep the case, keep my review, and they keep my money.

I told them that I refuse to lie on my review, but will remove the part about the case not matching the pictures on the sales page IF and ONLY IF proper pictures are posted of the item AND after I receive the refund. I would also change the score to a 3/5 instead of my 2/5, but I feel as though that is my maximum rating since the case is not what I wanted AND the magnets do not work. I basically told them that if MY conditions are not met, then I will file a claim against them through Amazon. I also reminded them that if this is done, then Amazon will have access to all the emails that we have exchanged (100% TRUE!!!), so they will have proof of what the seller is trying to get me to do.

I feel bad about me having to put my foot down so hard (seriously, to me, my foot is now 1foot under the surface), but it just sounds like they are trying to get me to make them look good to other potential buyers just so that I can get my money back. If this IS what they are trying to do, then it is VERY dishonest and WRONG.

Ill keep you all informed I guess and once everything is done, Ill give concluded advice for you all on how you should handle them if needed.

BTW, I took screen caps of the ORIGINAL sales page with the wrong pictures in case they change them and try to claim that they were there when I bought the item and that they have no clue what I am talking about. (The seller does not know about these screen caps though). Plus, Amazon would probably have record of when they changed the pictures too.
I will keep these caps in case anyone else here needs them. The seller never mentioned whether or not they will change the pictures, but only that, "It appears that there is a slight difference between the photo and product. We will get that sorted out right away, and let our suppliers know of the missing memory card slot."

Last edited:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Oh yeah, also:

I STRONGLY urge you all to write and post an Amazon review of your cases once you get them. Even if the case is absolutely correct and different from the one I got, you should still do it. Be honest though and do not simply try to make the seller look bad.

If multiple people get a different case than that pictured, and they write reviews indicating so, then this seller will be FORCED to be honest. Right now, it seems that I am the only one to review this case on Amazon (?) so for the seller to try and get 1 person to change their review is easier than getting 3, 5, 10, or more.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Another question ... does it smell/feel like real leather? Or is it fake? The description is "Navitech Black Executive Premium Leather Flip Carry Case".

edit to add:
Oh ... and Spexwood ... I don't see your review, FWIW.

edit again:
I've looked through all of Navitech's offerings. They have two separate listings for the case itself and one listing for the case plus screen protector all in black ... then they have that all again in brown leather as well. Six listings for the same case in two color options. No reviews available for any of them. All show the memory card slot opening.

Last edited:

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I believe his review is on the Amazon UK website under the Navitech black case. There is one user review which is the same as what he posted. The user name is different though.

I should be getting mne in a week or so and will take a hard look at it and will post a review either way. If it is not what I expected then the review will be negative and I will pursue a refund.

Gerry

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I believe his review is on the Amazon UK website under the Navitech black case. There is one user review which is the same as what he posted. The user name is different though.

I should be getting mne in a week or so and will take a hard look at it and will post a review either way. If it is not what I expected then the review will be negative and I will pursue a refund.

Gerry

Ah, that makes sense, I was only looking at US Amazon!