NC 1.4 rooting CM7 failed

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
I just got my Nook Color today. I updated the software to 1.4 and everything looked good. I then decided to root the NC and install CM7. I found some videos on YouTube on how to do this and from these I installed Clockwork Mod Recovery 3.0.2.8 and CM7. The instructions said to use Clockwork Mod Recovery to format the data. When I did this I got an error saying the format failed.
The instructions included this note: Getting an "Error: can't format /data" error? It seems like the newer Nook Colors have a different partitioning scheme vs the older ones. Please follow the instructions on this page to resolve the issue:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1094371. I then ran the re-partition file 5GBdata-v1.zip and reformatdata-v1.zip . I then installed CM7. When I rebooted the NC i get the CyanogenMod 7 logo and the message "loading"[FONT=arial, sans-serif] and then the screen goes blank. I tried redoing all the steps but no difference. I the tried to format the data and install the 1.4 update file from Clockwork but Clockwork said it could not run the file. I tried to install NC 1.4 from an SD card without anything else but the NC just went to the CyanogenMod 7 logo and hung.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
How can I go back to the stock NC so I can try again?

Rick
[/FONT]

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like you are using an old version of ClockWork Recovery and old information. You shouldn't need to do the partition fix with the newer versions of CWR 3.2+. Try one of these Nook Color: Updated Clockwork Recovery Bootable SD | Maurice Mongeon. You can use a size equal to or smaller than your SD card but not larger.

Make sure you have a good download of CM7 and Google Apps (check the MD5 sums). Burn the CWR image to your card and put the CM7 and Gapps zips on to the card. Power down and insert the card into the Nook. Power up. Wipe data and caches. Flash CM7 then flash Gapps. Unmount the SD card remove it and select reboot or hold down the power button until the Nook turns off, remove SD card and power back on.

Enjoy CM7 :)

JP

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
JP,
These are the files I used. The heading above the download links on the Maurrice Mongeon page says v 3.2.0.8 but the file name says 3.0.2.8 .
I will wipe the SD card I am using and try again.
Rick

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The file names are wrong. You can also try a google search for 3.2.08 and see if you can find it elsewhere to download. It fixes the partition issue (which you can also do the other way you tried) and some other issues that can lead to bad boots. Also make sure you are using the latest CM7 from the CyanogenMod website and Google Apps. Then wipe everything once you boot into CWR and flash your two zips for CM7 and Gapps and you should be good to go.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
yes, you can do that. It is not necessary t start from scratch though. There is nothing about stock or being rooted first that helps for installing CM7 on the internal. the process of installing CM7 itself removes anything on the internal memory (if you do the wipes) so that it doesn't matter what is on there, whether that is stock, stock rooted or a bad install. If you installed CWR internally and that was an older or corrupted version it would be good to remove it and start from scratch.

It is just a matter of making sure you have good downloads, do the proper wiping and then flash your downloads. If you get stuck I suggest making sure you are using a new version of CWR on a bootable SD card. On that card you might want to put the new version of CWR for internal to flash along with CM7 and Gapps to flash. If you don't wan't to flash CWR from the bootable CWR just flash the stock version that removes CWR (remove card and reboot) then use the card to boot to CWR flash your CM7 and Gapps over that. You still won't have CWR on internal at this point (just your boot card) but once you boot into CM7 you can go to ROM Manager (CWM) and flash the CWR to internal memory from there.

Lots of ways to do it and lots of options. You will find one that works and flashes CM7 if you just stick with it for a few tries.

JP

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
Finally, success! I now have my Nook Color running Cyanogen Mod 7. I was able to log in to my google account, my wi-fi connection is OK I can access web sites from the browser, but I am having trouble connecting to the Market. I touch the Market icon and i get a message "Loading" but after a while a message comes up "Application Market (in process com.android.vending) is not responding" there are tow buttons 'Force Close' 'Wait'. I thought maybe Market was down but I can get to Market from my HTC phone. I installed Cyanogen Mod 7.1 (update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed) and Google apps (gapps-gb-20110828-signed). Did I miss something?
Rick

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Google Market has now become Google Play store which may be causing issues. Try going into Settings>Apps>All Apps and then wipe data for Market and Google framework. Then reboot and try again.

jbaum

Apr 1, 2012
Hello!
Yesterday I rooted my Nook Color with Cynogenmod 7.1, and am having the same getting any where close to a market or apps download. More importantly, I cannot get into the settings>cyanogenmod settings.
Many things I try to do gives me the message "the process (android.process.media) or (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." with only an option to force close.
Any help will be appreciated! I am anxious to have my system running AND usable.

Jennifer

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Jennifer, did you install ClockWork Mod Recovery (CWR) on internal or do you have a bootable CWR sd card? If so boot into recovery. If internal go to ROM Manager and select reboot recovery. If sd card, power down insert bootable CWR sd card and power up. Once at the CWR menu go Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache. The from the main menu select Reboot. If you are using a bootable card you will need to unmount the card first and remove it then Reboot.

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
Google Market has now become Google Play store which may be causing issues. Try going into Settings>Apps>All Apps and then wipe data for Market and Google framework. Then reboot and try again.

JP
I tried what you suggested and there is no difference. I just tried plugging the nook to my PC with usb and got a message on the PC that there was no driver for the unit. I had no trouble connecting to the PC before installing Cyanogen.
Rick

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can try the same thing I posted to Jennifer in post #10. Try booting into recovery and clearing your cache partition and Dalvik cache.

jbaum

Apr 1, 2012
I have the CWR on a bootable SD card. When I rooted in the first place, I did wipe the Dalvik Cache. Just in case, I went through the steps you recommended, making sure to remove the SD card before Rebooting from the main menu. Unfortunately, same problems. I can browse the web and open apps that already were on the Nook before. But downloading anything new (I've tried several sites), or getting into the cynogenMod settings is a no go. I can open the ROM Manager, and did run the "Fix Permissions". Didn't help. Should I be loading CWR internally?

Thank you again!

Hi Jennifer, did you install ClockWork Mod Recovery (CWR) on internal or do you have a bootable CWR sd card? If so boot into recovery. If internal go to ROM Manager and select reboot recovery. If sd card, power down insert bootable CWR sd card and power up. Once at the CWR menu go Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache. The from the main menu select Reboot. If you are using a bootable card you will need to unmount the card first and remove it then Reboot.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have the CWR on a bootable SD card. When I rooted in the first place, I did wipe the Dalvik Cache. Just in case, I went through the steps you recommended, making sure to remove the SD card before Rebooting from the main menu. Unfortunately, same problems. I can browse the web and open apps that already were on the Nook before. But downloading anything new (I've tried several sites), or getting into the cynogenMod settings is a no go. I can open the ROM Manager, and did run the "Fix Permissions". Didn't help. Should I be loading CWR internally?

Thank you again!

Using a bootable sd card shouldn't make a difference for CWR as long as we are talking about running CM7 from internal memory and not from a bootable sd card. Sometimes you just have to backup you apps and data and start from scratch. Use an app like titanium backup to save your apps and data and then trying a cleean install of CM7 and Gapps. Once those are up and running you can restore from Titanium Backup.

Have you always had these problems or just recently started? It may be a recent app download which is causing the issue. If you know about when it started you can remove apps loaded since then and see if it starts running better.

Edit: Also make sure you are running the newest version of CWR 3.2+. Since it sounds like you just loaded CM7 you shouldn't have many apps to back up in which case you may just want to try a clean install wiping the cache partition and Dalvik cache before flashing CM& and Gapps.

Last edited:

DroidPup

Mar 25, 2012
I did a reinstall of Cyanogen7 and google apps and now everything seems to be working. I now have Google Play on the home page instead of Market and also the nav bar at the bottom of the screen which I did not have before.

Last edited: