Need a better photo app

dacarter

Jun 24, 2011
I took my A500 on a 2.5 week trip to Europe and used it to backup photos from my DSLR using a USB SD card reader. This worked pretty well, but I quickly realized how bad all the photo browsers I have are. The high res photos all looked fuzzy and out of focus. Also there were no options on sorting the photos with viewing a list. I'd like an app that makes full use of the resolution of the screen, allows me to see larger thumbnails, and easily select and move large numbers of photos from one folder to another. Also could not find a way to do slide show in any of my apps.

The only app that would display a photo in full res, was PhotoShop when in Edit mode, but that's not really a good browser.

I have Photo Browser 3D, MoboPlayer, and probably a few others.

Any recommendations?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I would recommend doing a quick search on the forums here using the Search tool, we have a couple of really good threads that some professional photographers have been posting their reviews, tools and thoughts on.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I like QuickPic...let's you exclude folders (the stock app shows me all the cover art for my music and ebooks and there's no way that I can see to stop that)

rcmolski

Apr 4, 2011
I like JustPictures. It will link to your Picasa account (if you have one), sorts photos on your device my the folders they are in, you can hide folders, there are sorting options, and it's FREE.

Good luck in your search,

Bob

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just about any DSLR worth mentioning is going to have higher resolution than the Acer's screen so it is going to have to down sample to display any pictures. Still it should be reasonably sharp.

As for sorting, about the best you can do is use a file manager, such as ES File Manager to move them into directories.

Travel Hint: Unless your DSLR has a GPS, every time you stop to take pics shoot a Road Sign, or something, or take one picture with your Iconia (or your smartphone) with the "Store Location" setting turned on. You can use that picture's geo-tag to geo-tag the rest of your images with what ever photo management tool you use on your home computer. (I use Picasa for this). I have some gorgeous shots that I can't even determine what state they were in. Drives me nuts.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Travel Hint: Unless your DSLR has a GPS, every time you stop to take pics shoot a Road Sign, or something, or take one picture with your Iconia (or your smartphone) with the "Store Location" setting turned on. You can use that picture's geo-tag to geo-tag the rest of your images with what ever photo management tool you use on your home computer. (I use Picasa for this). I have some gorgeous shots that I can't even determine what state they were in. Drives me nuts.

In my house it does lead to some interesting discussions when the wife and I disagree on where the pretty door or tree was when we took the pic though....;)

dacarter

Jun 24, 2011
I did do some searches but was only searching the A500 forum. After searching all forums, I found the long thread on the RAW viewer which was interesting, but I don't shoot RAW.

QuickPic looks like just what I needed. Better display resolution than the others (I know the screen is less resolution than the DSLR photo, but I was talking about very fuzzy displays that I know could be better, compare the same photo with QuickPic and Photo Browser 3D and you'll see what I mean).

The file managers I've used, have very limited sorting, but QuickPic seems to have more options and does slideshows as well.

So the only remaining gap for me, is multiselect... I didn't mention it in my original post, but say you have 500 pics on your SD card, and you select them all and copy them to the A500. The next day you take 500 more, so the SD card now has 1000 photos, but you only want to copy the most recent 500 to the A500... I can't find a way to multiselect a large range like that. Picking each one individually doesn't work that many photos. Maybe I just haven't found the feature yet.

Thanks for the responses. I'm feeling much better about photos on the A500 (and also wanting a eye-fi SD card)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
So the only remaining gap for me, is multiselect... I didn't mention it in my original post, but say you have 500 pics on your SD card, and you select them all and copy them to the A500. The next day you take 500 more, so the SD card now has 1000 photos, but you only want to copy the most recent 500 to the A500... I can't find a way to multiselect a large range like that. Picking each one individually doesn't work that many photos. Maybe I just haven't found the feature yet.

The ES File Manager has a Search icon (magnifying glass) and in side of that there is the capability to select a date option.
So you could limit the display to TODAY, then multi-select ALL, and that would only pick up today's shots, which you could
then copy from the usb and paste to the MicroSD card (or where ever).

dacarter

Jun 24, 2011
Good point on the date filter, thanks.

This reminded me of another problem. When I copied the pics over, the file dates/times got replaced with the copy date/dime which really pissed me off, since I deleted the originals in some cases. I was using File Manager HD.

Comparing QuickPic to JustPictures, I like the faster and larger thumbnails of QuickPic better, but both have good quality display and features.