Need Help !!!!

sld20001

Feb 16, 2011
Can somebody help me ! I have the Coby 7015a model. I downloaded the update from Coby and I don't know if it was the old update or the new update ! (I did it last week) I completed all the directions from newbie friendly guide for rooting and google market install on windows. I got to the part where the "su" is entered and the $ is suppose to change to #. Didn't happen ! I get the message about superuser, but the symbol is still $. If I type in the flash_image info, it comes back with flash_image: permission denied. I'm very frustrated and this is my first exprience with one of these so I am definitly a "newbie" ! My sister bought this for my 90 year old mom who loves to read but is starting to have trouble seeing. She can read with this but I haven't be able to download any books ! Any advice will be greatly appreciated !

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
If you had done a search, you'd have your answer 7015a is the new one. The new update locks the tablet down. The instructions you followed don't work on tablets updated to 7015a. There's nothing that can be done at the moment. Be patient, there are people who are working on a solution! BTW, It's a really good idea to pay attention to what you download/install.

sld20001

Feb 16, 2011
It's bad enough to know I don't know what I'm doing. I ask for help, not criticism. I did search, over and over, trying to figure out what to do. Found this site hoping to find an answer. Now I will probably not post anything else. Thanks for your help.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
What Sue said is correct. Not sure what part of the post offended you.

You do not have to apply the rooting tips people tend to recommend here.

If you are looking to get some books the easy way, you could just move the .apk files onto a sd card, and install the fiels if you cannot find them:
a) Aldiko: Download free Aldiko Book Reader app for Android at Freeware Lovers
b) FBReaderJ: Download free FBReaderJ app for Android at Freeware Lovers
c) Nook app: Download free Nook app for Android at Freeware Lovers

code347

Feb 4, 2011
In order to get the desired results out of this device, you are going to have to take some time and read the posts of those that have already completed the steps you are asking for. While it is not hard, it is involved, and there are some great in depth posts on how to accomplish what you are seeking. Sue was pointing out what seem to be an issue in every forum, and that is people do not seem to use the search button and look through posts. If you had taken the time to read a few, you would have seen the recommendation was for Kyros owners to not upgrade yet.

The folks here will bend over backwards to help you out, but you have to do some of the heavy lifting, getting huffy puffy over a suggestion will not endear your issue to anyone.

From the looks of it, you may just have to wait for a fix to the lockdown issue with 7015A...Sorry.

Last edited:

sld20001

Feb 16, 2011
I looked through the threads for 3 days before I even asked for help. You guys are all too smart for me. Good luck with helping everyone else !

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I'm offended by your reference to "smart" people! I can't help it if I'm a bit slow...

:(

Sent from my MID7015

code347

Feb 4, 2011
Come on...You can do it...Look...not only are these stickied, they are at the top of the Coby threads...

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...e-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-way-root-get-android-market-your-kyros.html

...and the good news it that you can Z4Root your device with the newest Coby update.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/8695-thread-dispel-some-misinformation.html

All of this is just from reading the thread titles on the first page.

Now if you read and follow the directions on the super easy way to root your kyros thread, you will be up and running in 20 minutes. It is well written and pretty hard to mess up. http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t1077-a...ows-no-special-drivers-or-adb-commands-needed

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
I looked through the threads for 3 days before I even asked for help. You guys are all too smart for me. Good luck with helping everyone else !

I so relate to you and sympathize with you! I have read and read the posts and there are so many opinions about what to do and what not to do. I have come to the consensus that I am not going to be able to root my new Kyros. I just got it today and it's the latest version, which Coby has made impossible, evidently, to root at this point. I think the moderators are so very smart here, as you said, and don't realize how ignorant those of us are who can read it over and over again and still not understand. It's like trying to read Chinese to me! I wouldn't even attempt to root it at this point, even if it were possible. Everyone seems to think it's so simple to do if we just read the posts. I've read them all, several times but different ones seem to contradict each other. So I give up. I'm just going to see if I can use and enjoy it with just the AppsLib.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Read through the first sticky. It can be done. Worst case, I will send you my clokwork backup if I have to. You really need to just go for it, it is hard to brick these unless you pull a cable, the sd card or the battery in the middle of something.
No offense Fieldmouse but you are being a bit of a scary cat. Cats love to eat field mice. Just do it!

Cutty1

Dec 18, 2010
@ sid20001 This is no way to Introduce yourself..
First Impression is a big role to life and if you keep doing what you are doing then nobody will take the time to answer your questions..
My first time here was pretty good and everyone seems to know what they are doing...
Be more precise when asking a Question and try to give as much detail to what you are doing and what you have done..
If one person can't help then someone else might step up and know the answers...
I had the same problem with the $ not changing to the # and when i did a Search I found that if you turn your Tablet upright you will see that you have to give permissions...

To everyone here I thank you all for your answers and Also taking the time to help everyone here.

Last edited:

code347

Feb 4, 2011
I so relate to you and sympathize with you! I have read and read the posts and there are so many opinions about what to do and what not to do. I have come to the consensus that I am not going to be able to root my new Kyros. I just got it today and it's the latest version, which Coby has made impossible, evidently, to root at this point. I think the moderators are so very smart here, as you said, and don't realize how ignorant those of us are who can read it over and over again and still not understand. It's like trying to read Chinese to me! I wouldn't even attempt to root it at this point, even if it were possible. Everyone seems to think it's so simple to do if we just read the posts. I've read them all, several times but different ones seem to contradict each other. So I give up. I'm just going to see if I can use and enjoy it with just the AppsLib.

Everything you need to do to root your Kyros is contained in this --->ALTERNATE (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY) GUIDE FOR ROOTING AND GOOGLE MARKET INSTALL ON WINDOWS - NO SPECIAL DRIVERS OR ADB COMMANDS NEEDED --- post. If you should get stuck during a step, come ask how to get around it. When you do it you will see just how easy it is...

You need to download some software....

z4root [APP] z4root - xda-developers

Recovery.img - Sendspace.com - Download

gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip - Mediafire.com - Download

Follow the directions and you will be set...It does not get any easier.

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
Everything you need to do to root your Kyros is contained in this --->ALTERNATE (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY) GUIDE FOR ROOTING AND GOOGLE MARKET INSTALL ON WINDOWS - NO SPECIAL DRIVERS OR ADB COMMANDS NEEDED --- post. If you should get stuck during a step, come ask how to get around it. When you do it you will see just how easy it is...

You need to download some software....

z4root [APP] z4root - xda-developers

Recovery.img - Sendspace.com - Download

gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip - Mediafire.com - Download

Follow the directions and you will be set...It does not get any easier.

But the problem is, most of those were written before the latest factory update installation. Mine has the latest from the factory and I have read in this forum not to do anything because there is some kind of block put on by Coby to prevent it. I read on another site that it is supposedly to prevent viruses, but who knows? So, once again, which one do I believe? Here is the one written by moderator Sue7M3 and she sure seems to know what she is talking about:

"The directions linked to in this thread ARE step by step and I don't know how they could be made any easier. However, if you have just received your tablet or didn't read the thread here about the new update before updating, you won't be able to use them as the new update locks down the tablet and makes it difficult to root. If you're one of those folks you'll just have to be patient for now. A solution for you will be available sooner or later. The programmers around here ROCK."

Last edited: