Need Nook opinions

jglass38

Jun 17, 2011
My girlfriend has an iPad and uses it only at home for web browsing and primarily, watching YouTube videos. It really has no other function. She hates the iPad. She has had problems with it since day one and feels it is too heavy. I am looking at getting her something smaller and am thinking about either the Nook (rooted) or a Galaxy Tab 7 wifi. I'd like to get some opinions on how the Nook performs at the following:

1. Web browsing
2. Playing YouTube videos

Additionally, does it play HD video on YouTube? (not sure if it has HD capabilities). Thanks in advance!

Jamie

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My girlfriend has an iPad and uses it only at home for web browsing and primarily, watching YouTube videos. It really has no other function. She hates the iPad. She has had problems with it since day one and feels it is too heavy. I am looking at getting her something smaller and am thinking about either the Nook (rooted) or a Galaxy Tab 7 wifi. I'd like to get some opinions on how the Nook performs at the following:

1. Web browsing
2. Playing YouTube videos

Additionally, does it play HD video on YouTube? (not sure if it has HD capabilities). Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Yes, the Nook is awesome for this. It is lighter and much easier to hold than an iPad and you have your choice of multiple browsers, not just the one you are forced to use. Youtube works great through both the app and the website and you can play videos in HD. Netflix is also an option for watching video as are some TV apps.

JP

jglass38

Jun 17, 2011
Yes, the Nook is awesome for this. It is lighter and much easier to hold than an iPad and you have your choice of multiple browsers, not just the one you are forced to use. Youtube works great through both the app and the website and you can play videos in HD. Netflix is also an option for watching video as are some TV apps.

JP

Thanks for the reply! How is the sound quality through the speakers? I am trying to get all the answers to minimize the complaining afterwards. :)

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for the reply! How is the sound quality through the speakers? I am trying to get all the answers to minimize the complaining afterwards. :)

Never tried it w/headphones, and my case is always on it so it muffles the sound. That being said, the sound quality has never been a issue with me.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Frankly the speakers are crap - however note that the nook is an ereader hacked to be a tablet and as a tablet it works great- as was pointed out, it is fully customizable in appearance, functionality(reading, watching movies, tv shows, games. social networking) but it was not designed for a rich media experience so the speakers are not surprisingly crap. There are however some tweaks to improve the sound that helps when you use headphones or external speakers

i also have the samsung galaxy tab 7 inch (verizon in nor california offered a certified pre owned with a 1GB 3G account for $149 + $20 monthly) and i love it as well. Great graphics, sound - The nook overclocked at 1.3 is snappier but this is more than good enough for me. The bluetooth is much more stable than the nook so works great with BT headsets

the other advantage of the Samsung tab is you can also do voice calls via Fring or Grooveit and i thought i did not need a camera but this thing takes great pictures as well

so either one is a good substitute, the nook requires more tinkering, the Samsung has more capabilities but is also more expensive

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Frankly the speakers are crap - however note that the nook is an ereader hacked to be a tablet and as a tablet it works great- as was pointed out, it is fully customizable in appearance, functionality(reading, watching movies, tv shows, games. social networking) but it was not designed for a rich media experience so the speakers are not surprisingly crap. There are however some tweaks to improve the sound that helps when you use headphones or external speakers

i also have the samsung galaxy tab 7 inch (verizon in nor california offered a certified pre owned with a 1GB 3G account for $149 + $20 monthly) and i love it as well. Great graphics, sound - The nook overclocked at 1.3 is snappier but this is more than good enough for me.

AnimaTechnica is definitly a power media user so this is about as good of a review as you can get. As has been noted the speaker is not great (mono) and because of its location (on the back facing away from your ears) is hampered even more. It is fine for casual use but if you really want an immersive experience you are going to want headphones or a nice speaker dock to plug into.

There are also some software tweaks that can be made but let's face it, this isn't a 55" screen with a hotmetheater system attached so there is only so much you can expect in that regard.

JP

jglass38

Jun 17, 2011
AnimaTechnica is definitly a power media user so this is about as good of a review as you can get. As has been noted the speaker is not great (mono) and because of its location (on the back facing away from your ears) is hampered even more. It is fine for casual use but if you really want an immersive experience you are going to want headphones or a nice speaker dock to plug into.

There are also some software tweaks that can be made but let's face it, this isn't a 55" screen with a hotmetheater system attached so there is only so much you can expect in that regard.

JP

Thanks and thanks to AnimaTechnica. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy will have to be the choice due to the sound issue. :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
jglass, before you write the nook off, see if you can check one out in person in B&N or BestBuy. They have the Pandora app preinstalled or you can go to Youtube or wherever and try it out in person and see how it sounds. It isn't great but unless you are using it as your primary entertainment device it gets the job done.

Don't worry about how it looks or runs, since rooting or running a custom ROM will change that easily enough, just get a feel for the sound quality.

JP

jglass38

Jun 17, 2011
jglass, before you write the nook off, see if you can check one out in person in B&N or BestBuy. They have the Pandora app preinstalled or you can go to Youtube or wherever and try it out in person and see how it sounds. It isn't great but unless you are using it as your primary entertainment device it gets the job done.

Don't worry about how it looks or runs, since rooting or running a custom ROM will change that easily enough, just get a feel for the sound quality.

JP

I'll definitely go check it out. I just know how she is and it would be her primary entertainment device. She hates the iPad so whatever I get her has to work. :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
ae8dd427-3aa0-b627.jpg
The sound is great with my earplugs and when i'm watching a movie I use this dock s with speakers, good sound too.As you can tell, we all loooove our nook, if you check it out, as JP is suggesting, you might find out why.
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Schnoidz

Jun 2, 2011
ae8dd427-3aa0-b627.jpg
The sound is great with my earplugs and when i'm watching a movie I use this dock s with speakers, good sound too.As you can tell, we all loooove our nook, if you check it out, as JP is suggesting, you might find out why.
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Where did you find this dock?

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Android Tablet Forum

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I wouldn't spend 349 on a Samsung Galaxy. The Acer A100 is coming out in a few months with Honeycomb 3.2 for the same price according to the Home Screen tab of this website.

As a new Nook owner - I'd say try and get one for 200 bucks - refurbished - or used. It's a great device to learn Android - with a strong user community to learn from. ( plus get hacks like Netflix, overclock, etc. if you like that stuff )

Does it have it's drawbacks ( yes, speaker is definitely a weak spot - and no HDMI output ) but at it's lowest price point for functional tablet with quality parts and superb screen - I still think it's hard to beat.

If I wanted to spend 350 on a Tablet - I'd hold out for 2 months and have a more powerful device like the Acer A100 or Amazon tablet that will have a longer shelf life technology wise - and probably extended battery life.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I use my NC for Netflix and YouTube all the time (as well as listening to the radio and surfing the web). Speakers are garbage, but I use my headphones so I don't bother anyone else. For the money, this thing is awesome. I was disappointed with it at first (as a reader), but finally rooted at the end of February and have really enjoyed it since . A custom mod is really the only way to go on this. I agree with Candlestick, though, I wish it had HDMI output, but I never would have wished that had I not rooted it and seen how useful it can really be.

If she's picky, I would wait a few months and get one of the new tablets coming out in the same price range. The NookColor was an awesome starter tablet, though.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Schnoidz, I found the dock at Sears, at one of their stores. Check where they sell stuff for the I Pad, that's what the dock was made for. It can hold the.nook vertically as well and it comes in black too, less feminine. I think there was a model for 16.99 ( mine) and one for 19. 99.They looked the same , so I bought the less expensive.Gloria

Actually..I think it was 14.99.

Last edited: