netbook or tablet

sungod88

Nov 22, 2010
basically idk weither or not to get a netbook or a tablet. If i want a tablet thats really worth anything Im gonna have to spend close to $300 but for roughly the same price i could get a good netbook. Now i am still in school and the reason i was looking at a tablet is because i travel alot and my laptop is heavy but i watch alot of videos and read comics but i also have to do the occasional typing. so basically which do you guys thinks fits my needs best

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
OK. Let me try to help you with this decision. I currently have a HP Mini 311 w/ the nVidia ION graphics and 2 GB RAM and 64 GB SSD. It is a nice little unit and served its' purpose. I have since purchased a Viewsonic GTab and have rooted it and it is now running CM 6.1 Beta 3. I purchased the tablet for the sole purpose of replacing the netbook for the work that I do as a system engineer. It has, to date, been an overwhelming success. The tablet even at 10 inches is more portable. It can do everything the netbook did and as a bonus it runs Android as opposed to the dual boot Win 7/Ubuntu 10.10 I had on my netbook. Eventually I will probably go down to a 7" Tegra 2 unit, assuming one comes out that can be as easily rooted as the Viewsonic GTab, for even greater portability.

As for what I do to give as an example. I can connect to CISCO VPNs, use RDP and VNC clients to remote into systems as well as SSH. I can run wireshark and upload service packs and patches to servers, etc... from the local storage on my tablet once I am on the network. SCP and FTP works great. I also use it as a FTP server in some cases when running updates across multiple systems to grab firmware, etc... Then when all is said and done on my way home I can still play Angry Birds or tether to my Droid (which is rooted running BB v0.5) and play Pocket Legends. All in all it is more than I had hoped for.

Hope this helps. Ooh and as an added bonus editing my documents on Google Docs on my tablet is now making it the BEST damned toy I have had in a long long time.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
if all you do with your laptop is browse the web you can do all that with a tablet. the only issue i can think of with the tablet for traveling purposes is the lack of storage i was on a month long trip and i used the hard disk as a backup device for my digital photos

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
very good answer LS650 for someone who plans to do heavy text entry - for my uses (email, reading, web browsing, watching videos) i vote tablet - i have both a netbook (Dell) and a tablet (Haipad 701) i find the tablet much more convenient and easy to carry around - my 7 inch tablet is about the size of a pocket book, much lighter in weight; i can read/use it pretty much everywhere especially in bed, carry it in hte pocket of my hoodie and on occasion i also carry a small mini backpack for tablet and various essentials

for most non techie people, the problem with a netbook is you think it can do everything becuase it looks like a notebook and most peopl get disappointed when it doesn't. An android tablet is a walled garden, you use what apps are available and often those apps work great -within the android universe

Tablets aren't designed for a lot of keying. If you mean that you occasionally have to fire off two-sentence emails, get a tablet; if you have to type up notes or papers for your classes, get a netbook.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
I am sorry but this recommendation is not a good one - it is obsolete on arrival - processor is too slow, android 1.6 is too old, 128MB ram is too low - you'll have a ton of regrets with this

If you watch the film a lot, I suggest you useMini aPad Main Feature:

CPU: VIA MW8505 600MHz
RAM: 128MB DDR2
Storage: 2GB NAND FLASH
TF card support 32GB extend max
Display: 8 Inch TFT LCD widescreen touch screen 800*400
3G: external 3G function
Webcam: No

LS650

Nov 11, 2010
I agree 100% - if you're going to get a Chinese no-name tablet, at least pay the extra $50 to get the faster processor, more RAM, Android 2.1+, etc.