New 10.1 tab suggestions? Market the way it is, changing so fast now.

Brands to look at for a sub $200 10.1, 9.7 or even 8.9 tablet?

• Ainol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goopad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refurbished American market brand

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DTRAN

Jan 20, 2013
Hi everyone. longtime lurkerfirst time poster. I'm looking for a $200 tablet IPS 10.1 inch tablet. We could go $10-$15 over for shipping, hopefully no import taxes. Before, I was thinking of the Hero 1 or 2, but not so sure now. Acer Iconia? Toshiba Thrive? Not even sure if thrive is in the 10k Bench range.

Quad Core preferably, but I have been reading some Dual Cores with higher Ghz ratings have been getting better benchmarks. So benchmarks are what I prefer. It seems 1.5 Ghz is a good number to aim for?

Thinking Chinese but I could work with a good American refurb or known good tablet without quirks like wifi running down the battery fast. Or some tablets not allowing Landscape mode on Netflix. Someone on here said Ainol's won't work on wifi unless you are on channel 10. Not sure if true or not. So no weird known issues like that.

Looking for something likean 8000-10000 mAh battery so I don't have to charge it for at least a full day.

Been looking at Ainol, but the market's changing so fast, people are recommending PiPo and things like that.

Don't really care if I have 5 multitouch or 10. I would like a camera in the back and a good front facing one. Aka not one that's just 0.3. But that doesn't matter a ton.

Did I miss anything? What do you guys think.

Note to resellers: Do not suggest if you don't have superior customer service. One company I read charged a return restocking fee on a damaged tablet and did not pay or return postage nor for the postage to send a new one out..

Preferably looking for people who know the market aren't pitching a particular tablet because you're a reseller and you just got stock in of a particular brand and next month you will be recommending a different one because this one you don't have anymore and you are trying to sell your other goods.

Thank you for your time. Main use is HD video playback, (Youtube, Netflix, Crackle, etc) and also browsing. But I want fast as the one I have now seems to freeze up when I'm browsing, so the experience is not so great at all.

Last edited:

DTRAN

Jan 20, 2013
Maybe if someone can help me simplify this, it would be great. Maybe this list format will be better and encourage more responses.

Budget is $200 before shipping, which I hope is not a lot (I have seen $25-$30 from overseas, ugh).
Otherwise, I'd like from the US, saw one Ainol with 500 MB 3G included for ~$210.

Formfactor
Was looking at 10.1 inch. Some are telling me it's too big. I may consider a 8.9-9 inch.
Will not consider 7 inch. Have one and it's too small.

Brands
Heard the Lenovo's (refurbs) are really heavy, so not sure about that. Thinking Chinatab for the most bang for the buck.
Bust must be fairly well known and familiar brands. Familiar with Ainol Hero II and Pipo's. Thinking about the Goopad iPad clone also.
Open to buying American refurbs.

Longevity/market relevancy/in regards to specs
Assuming I can switch out the battery, I use my electronics until they die and have had generally good life range on my units.
So I'm preferring a quad core. But if benchmarks are very good, and beats a quad core (some actually do) I'll take a dual core.
But no less than a dual core. No less than 1GB memory.
Also looking for something around 16 storage if that's not asking too much. And then add-on with any [micro]SD card.

Currently own:
Craig 7 inch and it's slow as all getout and small as heck and response lag is more than noticible.

Purpose: Business and travel use. So reliable for long term, durable and somewhat rugged (although that point is not very necessary).
Watching streaming video and download films. Not really a gamer, but might need the speed for apps in the distant future. (Long term use.)
Need long term battery life. A day and a half at least. The Craig I have? 2 hours and overnight to charge. -_-

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Hi DTRAN. Welcome to the forum. This is obviously just my opinion, but I guess that's all you're asking for anyway. If I was looking for a different tablet, I would look at either a refurbished Samsung or Asus. I do have an Acer A500 10.1 and I love it, but I think next time I would go with a quad core Asus and I would seriously look at one like this refurbished 32 gig:

ASUS TF201-B1-GR 10.1" Transformer Prime - Gray - Newegg.com

I've bought a lot of stuff from newegg over the years, and a few months ago I ordered a refurbished Acer for a family member. The wifi wouldn't work, but it was easy to send it back and they send another one right away and it looked new and still working great. I trust this company. No, I don't work for them or know anybody that does. I know it's a little more than you wanted to spend, but they have free shipping on this item, and in the past, no tax for out of state orders. The only negative I can see with this one is the lack of GPS unless you buy a dongel kit, but I don't use GPS so that wouldn't bother me.

Like I said, just my personal opinion. I'm sure other people will have different opinions. Oh, take a look at what newegg has on their site. They have several Ainol models that sound really tempting, and at good prices. The cameras aren't real great though.

Good luck on your search.