New Android Owners w/ Doubts Giani Digital Touch Screen

Magic Cottage

May 21, 2011
My OH has today presented me as a present with new Android Tablet. I have never looked or used this system before and I haven't yet stepped into the smartphone world, still owning a Tocco Lite.

However, I'm a little concerned by the make of this Tablet, which I can find no reference to anywhere except some obscure marketing company. The machine is Giani Digital Mipal running Android 1.6.

On initial usage it doesn't seem too bad, but when connected via Wi-fi to the Home Hub I have to confess to be a little underwhelmed by it's speed on the provided browser. Of course, with it being a present I'm in a difficult situation. I also have the nasty feeling that being a technology item that once out of the box it's excluded from returns policy as some such items are.

So can anyone shed any light on this? Is this machine a pig in a poke or what?

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Basically if it still runs 1.6, it sucks with a few exceptions. If you can pay less than $150 brand new for it then you might just have a very expensive paperweight.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
See if you can load an application called Android System Info by electric sheep on it. From there you should be able to get enough technical specs for us to be able to tell you if the chip and RAM can support an upgrade, and if there is one out there. There are a ton of "off-brand" devices that are really basically the same tablet.

16vastraturbo

Nov 6, 2011
I have just been givin one of these and I am looking to upgrade the internals if poss heres the specs
Giani Digital Touch Screen Tablet Pc specs are
CPU - via 8505
OS - Google Android
memory 128MB
Wi Fi - 802.11 b/g
LAN - 10/100M Ethernet Access
USB - 1 x USB 2.0
Storage - Samsung 2GB NANO Flash (up to 8GB)
Resolution - 800*400
Sound - In Built Speaker
camera - In built 0.3Mp camera
Battery - 1400mAH
TF Card - Supports 1GB - 32GB
Inbuilt microphone

can I upgrade the CPU/OS/STORAGE???

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@Magic Cottage & @16vastraturbo,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablets. Nice to have you here with us at Android Tablets as new members. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section of the forum where more people will see it and hopefully help figure out exactly what you have and what can be done with it. Best of luck to you both!

hodged02

Mar 17, 2012
I have just been given one of these nice little tablets, for free, so not really bothered that its an entry level device, will mainly be using it for the kindle app, but would like to upgrade the OS to 2.1 if possible, the info on the device says

Model no. generic
firmware 1.6
kernel 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
build no. WMT2.710Cu

Can i use any Rom that matches the kernal and build no.?
also would like a rom with the android market working as can't get that working yet