New Android User and Ematic Funtab Victim

ShoeQueen

Dec 1, 2011
Greetings all,

I'm a wanna-be techie and graphic designer hailing from the Midwest. I received an Ematic Kids Funtab as an early birthday gift and have now plunged head long into the Android world. The good news - it was free. The bad news, it's froyo and has no access to the Android Marketplace. I'll be posting my whoa's in the appropriate forum area, and seeking advice (and possibly counseling) about this new gadget. A little history about me: I was using computers before they we're "cool", I was BBS'ing before this "whole internet thing", I owned one of the very first versions of a power mac, and assisted in building my current pc. Unfortunately, none of this gives me a clue as to what I'm doing in Android. But if any place can help me, I'm pretty sure I picked the right place to start. Thanks in advance to the community for the hand-holding that will possible follow. I'm excited to root this sucker, and am looking forward to learning about the world of Android.

-ShoeQueen

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Greetings ShoeQueen, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to Android Tablets. Nice of you to join us as a member of the forum, it's good to have you here.

vde

Dec 6, 2011
Hey folks new to the thread I am thinking of getting one of these for my kiddo ... I would like to root it though so please o please keep us updated..thanks

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi vde, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to become a member of Android Tablets. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy yourself out there.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi ShoeQueen and vde!

Welcome to the board, glad you could join us here! I have no experience with these newer tablets from ematic, but we have a smaller mp3 player and it's a PITA sometimes to deal with, the battery disappears like insanely fast and it's just hard to get it working on the computers sometimes, it's like it won't mount itself via USB. I know its only a MP3 player with video camera abilities, but it's my only experience with this brand so far. I have seen the tablet being offered on Walmart's site. It sounds like you're not too thrilled with it. I hope that changes, and that someone figures out the rooting technique. I can say I wouldn't buy one for my family though. We're looking at getting our family a Coby, 10" tablet. Listed in my signature are the 10" we're getting and the 7" tablet we were looking at, both are links to amazon where they can be bought currently.

mnkricau

Dec 17, 2011
Hello all who are in the same boat (just bought an Ematic FunTab),

A little about me: mother of two (adorable) girls, wife to a (wonderful) husbnad, and average computer savvy chick.

Ok, so I just got two of these a couple days ago, and this is what I have figured out so far:

Music- MP3 format, download straight to the tablet via the usb cord.
Apps- use the app market preistalled on the device.
Google Android Market- don't even try, it won't recognize your tablet as a viable device ("there are no Android Phones associated with your account"). I am hoping they will fix this and do an update soon!
Kobo Book reader- stinks! lets you add books to your account, but then says "downloading" for about an hour :(
Movies- (this was the hardest one) I finally figured out how to get a good quality dvd to play on the device. I use Aimerisoft DVD Ripper (but similiar ones will work) the settings to use are: File type- WMV (Windows Media Audio/Video) NOT! AVI - like they tell you to use, that will give you audio but no video. Resolution- 240*160 / Frame Rate-12 fps / Bit Rate- 1200 kbps / Effect- Even Interpolate

Please feel free to comment on anything in my post.
Kristy

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Kristy, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. Nice to have you as a member of the forum and nice to see you helping folks already. Good information there for anyone new to the FunTab.

liketoknow

Dec 18, 2011
Hi
I've just started learning about Android too. I bought an Archos tablet that runs Froyo also, and am concerned with the prospect of malware. There's an AppLib (application library) that was pre-installed, but a lot of times after I've downloaded a new app, I have to adjust my settings to allow third party apps. I called tech support about this, and they just told me everyone does it anyway. understand that third party apps are where the bad guys start testing the malware. Do you have any experience/concerns about this?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
There's an AppLib (application library) that was pre-installed

Hi Liketoknow, I don't think there would be anything to worry about when you're getting apps from that library. We'll talk more in your introduction post.

tlcamy

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks Kristy
I thought I was doing something wronge with trying to upload a book, there goes $8:00 down the drain.. Still having trouble downloading the music..

Thanks tlcamy

mnkricau

Dec 17, 2011
tlcamy ,
Yeah Kobo just got back to me today saying the same thing three of there "tech" people already said. "go to website, download app, add books, link with desktop site, etc" I think that there app is going to need an update before it fully functions. I'll wait it out. In the mean time check out WattPad app. They have a bunch of paid & free books. And there download time is way better. You will find the app in the Appoke Market. You will have to create an account (which is quicker done on a desktop), log in, search for it by name "wattpad", install, dowload, and your done. They will start you off with about five free books and you can add more at your lesure.

Now for music....not sure where you are starting from (youtube music or your own cd's?) But either way you will have to convert them to mP3 Format (let me know if you need details about how to do that?). Then you can either put them on a micro sd card or striaght to the Funtab via the usb cord. You will find them in the "My Music" app (on the main page) if you downloaded them straight to the Funtab. If on sd card they will be in the "file browser" app (on the main page).

BONUS* I just found some awesome FREE app's for kids (and others) on Amazon.com First go to Amazons website, look on the left side of the main page, click on the Appstore fro Androids tab. Select any app (free or paid-but i suggest a free one to make sure it works first). Next, look on the right side of the page (while viewing the app) there will be a box to enter your email or phone number, enter your email (for the Funtab). Check your email account, there will be an email from Amazon, open it. Connect your Funtab to your computer via the usb cord, and then open the link in the email. It will install it on the Funtab. Then you just have to sign into your amzon account, and the game you select will be in there, ready to dowload.

Please feel free to ask me anything , or to correct any of my mistakes. I believe , since this is such a new product, that we are all trying to tweek it out :) to the best of our abilities.

Kristy

Last edited:

dahcc

Dec 22, 2011
I purchased two for my grandkids. Cannot get things to work. One of them the Wifi does not work. The other the Android Market does not work. After further investigation I read that Android 3.0 is the only version that supports tablets with larger screens. Two days before Christmas, they are going back, but now don't know what to give the kids. Ipod Touch will work but too expensive.

mnkricau

Dec 17, 2011
I wish I could set them up for you (I have our two completed with apps,ebooks,music, dvds,etc). I hate for the kids to not have a christmas present. If you want me to try and walk you through it I can.

mnkricau

Dec 17, 2011
I purchased two for my grandkids. Cannot get things to work. One of them the Wifi does not work. The other the Android Market does not work. After further investigation I read that Android 3.0 is the only version that supports tablets with larger screens. Two days before Christmas, they are going back, but now don't know what to give the kids. Ipod Touch will work but too expensive.

No the Android 2.2 is working just fine on my FunTabs.