New ASUS TF101 owner

spincut

Aug 3, 2012
Just got refurb ASUS TF101 last night, was up late playing with it. No problems so far. I'm 60 years old, been building/breaking desktops for a long time. Got a tablet because I didn't want to get left behind. Got an Android because Macs are too locked down. Looks like this will be able to replace my laptop for traveling... woo hoo! my only question is this: is an antivirus program really necessary? seems to be a mixed opinion...

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello spincut, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android.

As you mentioned, antivirus programs really are a mixed opinion. There is malware out there, but most people believe you're safe as long as you only download apps from reliable sources such as Google and Amazon. There are free anti-malware apps available on the markets if you feel you need one. I'm using Lookout on mine with no apparent performance issues. The version you have to pay for has additional features you might also be interested in.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5sb29rb3V0Il0
Amazon.com: Lookout Mobile Security: Appstore for Android

Another popular one is AVG Antivirus Free. You're probably familiar with AVG from your PC experience.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbnRpdmlydXMiXQ
Amazon.com: Antivirus: Appstore for Android

Enjoy that new TF101 and the forum!

spincut

Aug 3, 2012
Thanks spider! Appreciate the info. Never tried AVG, but I've used AVAST a lot... truth be told, I'm not sure the $50 per year VIPRE antivirus I use is any better than the free AVAST. Bad stuff can get through all of them occasionally.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
I'm running AVG on my TF101. Though I've only heard of a couple of people picking up a virus and were able to reset there tablet to get rid of it. I felt it couldn't hurt to have it. Congrats on your purchase, these are great tablets.

spincut

Aug 3, 2012
I'm happy so far. I'm using the stock browser so far, do you recommend anything else? I use chrome on all my laptops and pcs (my family has six computers and counting), but apparently it doesn't run flash on androids, which I can see would be a problem....

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm happy so far. I'm using the stock browser so far, do you recommend anything else? I use chrome on all my laptops and pcs (my family has six computers and counting), but apparently it doesn't run flash on androids, which I can see would be a problem....

It does, if you installed Flash Player, however there really are some better browsers. On some you need to check settings to make sure you are allowing plug-ins to run. Try Dolphin Browser for another option.

spincut

Aug 3, 2012
Leeshor:
I did load Dolphin, and I love it! Thanks for the advice.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Leeshor:
I did load Dolphin, and I love it! Thanks for the advice.

I am a die-hard Dolphin addict just like Leeshor.

Last Pass and XMarks add ons make it the perfect browser for me.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 4, 2010
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Congrats on the tab!! Jump in, enjoy and participate when ya can!!