New convert from windows mobile

responderman

Jul 14, 2011
Hi Everyone, i'm Jay
Just come over from the XDA devs site as I used to run an Athena which is a windows mobile powered tablet/PDA it was OK but very dated now. Just got one of the CHEAP Ebay Epad things, they seem very good for the money and already do more than my old Athena would. I'm sure there must be tablets loads better than this one on the market but for the price I paid this will do for now.
I am a 50 year old bloke, living in Lincoln in the UK. Been a bit of a computer nut all my Life.
I joined this site to try to upgrade and improve on the ROM that came on this tablet. It says it has Froyo 2.2 on it, but as it doesn't have a real version of android market on it, I guess it may have a suspect origin.

Speak soon
Jay

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Welcome to the forum! Give us some more detail on your tablet and we will see if there is a custom ROM for you.

Cheers,
Peter

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

fmatic

Jul 14, 2011
It says it has Froyo 2.2 on it, but as it doesn't have a real version of android market on it, I guess it may have a suspect origin.

Hello Jay!

So in your pad there is market available but it only show few apps? (just guessing) If so here is a simple fix which works in my iRobot apad with Froyo 2.2 :)

1. Fire up market and after it loads up just close it
2. Go Settings - Applications - System Applications - Market and clear cache and then force stop
3. Press back-button and search: "Google Services Framework" and clear data and force stop
4. Go back to home-screen and launch market and if you do step 1-3 correct you get error message if not repeat step 1-3
5. Reboot tablet and launch market
6. Close market and reboot tablet again
7. Now when your tablet starts and you fire up market there is plenty more apps available

Cheers!

Last edited:

responderman

Jul 14, 2011
Thanks for the replies to me,
Answer to the first question by pbrauer, To be honest I'm not sure what Epad it is. It comes in a white box and its made in china, and it says MID on the box????. Ebay is flooded with them, but as I said before it works very well indeed. Far Far better than my windows mobile Athena. cost me a little over £50, but the Athena was £300:eek:. The latest rom by you would be great, but as a newbee I need to find out how first. I did have a G1 that I needed to root first, is this still the same?

And the answer to the other question by fmatic, You are spot on with your guess. it does have some kind of android market place on it, but only a few Asian Apps. So I will try your answer first, many thanks.

Slight problem......Just found out this tablet DOESN'T seem to have google services framework on it.
Also just found out its a "Wondermedia WM8650" android version 2.2, kernel version 2.6.32.9-default

Further Update,
with a day having a play with my tablet I have now got root and a new rom installed on it. it was much easier than I expected, and far easier than a Windows device I think.
Good old SEARCH button!!!
Jay

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting it "rooted" already. I'm guessing you already found it, but just in case you haven't the section of the forum you'll be most interested in is at WonderMedia Based

responderman

Jul 14, 2011
Thanks,
Yes its all rooted and I put one of romanticEvil's roms on it. much better than the stock ROM that was on it. It was so easy, no SPL's to worry about and every thing works. I'm used to Buggy ROMS and constant tweaking to keep things running.
As a newbee my Biggest tip is stop saying HELP on the forums and use the search button because I doubt there is anything you can go wrong that hasn't been done already.
Regards
Jay

squeekpress

Aug 17, 2011
I just got a similar tablet as responderman from ebay :: Epad with MID on the box running a Wondermedia ROM? I believe as that is the 1st tab that is on my Task Manager (WonderMedia). I am a complete newbie here and this is my 1st tablet so please bare with my ignorance. It makes sense about updating a ROM & getting the actual market place.. can someone point me in the right direction as to how I could approach that. I have find myself in the same situation with no "real" android app market place .. I found this out as I was trying to install Skype, Facebook & Netflix app as I intend to use my tablet for its everyday simple multimedia uses and could not locate any of them. Thank you in advance for any help!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@ squeekpress I moved your other post to the Q&A section. I'm leaning toward WonderMedia, but let's see what others have to say.