New gtablet several problems

jwinner

Jan 3, 2012
I recieved a gtablet for Christmas and am having several problems with it and was hoping for some insight in to them from this forum.

1. I can't add any weather staions to the weather app. I even tried New York.

2.When I run a google search I can not get the web sites listed to activate. I can however get them to do it manually.

3. I configured my email and it worked for the first few emails but now it wont download them from the server although it shows them on the server( I have my email settings to download the mail every 15 minutes.

4. Although this is not a problem, is it possible (adviseable) to put an anti virus on the tablet? Avast has one for the Android system.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
First, what ROM are you running? Is it the stock Tap-n-Tap that comes out of the box or have you updated it?

How are you trying to add the cities? From the app or from settings?

Not sure what you mean about getting them to activate. Do you mean the links are not active in the search results?

Reset your email, you may have a corrupted message or store. This happens sometimes, but rarely. I would recommend deleting the account and recreating it.

The use of Antivirus is a hotly debated topic here...(deep breath Icebike, if you read this post)...there have been only anecdotal reports of Android Viruses. If it is something that eases your mind then I would recommend Lookout, which is available in the market.

I would also highly recommend rooting and flashing your tablet if you have not done this already. The gTablet is still one of the best values out there and a great device, but the ROM really lets it down. I would take a look at the following thread for more info: Viewsonic gTablet ROMS

jwinner

Jan 3, 2012
Not sure what you mean by the root -- I just opened the box and tap -n- tap showed up. .
I am trying to add cities from the app--it returns a message that the location isn't available.
Yes i mean the links are not active in the search results --sorry for the confusion.
I will take a look at the thread you recommended- rooting and flashing (other than flashing a bios are all new to me) and Ill delete my mail acct. and recreate it .
Thanks for your time.

edit: the TnT version is 1.1-3588
I recreated the email account and it is working now thanks.
FYI kernel version 2.6.32.9-00000-10.8.2-dirtyhudson@tapntapsvn#16

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
sounds like you are on the right track. Now, I would recommend using the TnT-3588 for a bit while you read up on what you have, and then take the plunge and root and flash your tablet. I promise you will not regret it. If you look you will see that I almost never recommend this, but this is one tablet that needs it!