New here and in need of HELP with my new ASUS TF700 tablet ...

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
Good afternoon everyone ! :)

Well, after much searching and trying different tablets, I finally opted for this splendid ASUS TF700 (Infinity) tablet just today.
The unit is presently charging (100% for the tablet and 80% now for the docking station) ...

And of course, I have several questions which I hope will be answered here.
Sorry, but I am REALLY new at this and very confused as well. :confused:

I will be using this tablet especially for writing my books and storing some photos - from my PC to the tablet and vice versa. I am presently using an old Word 2003 software but it ha served its purpose very well over the years and I am not upgrading anytime soon to the new version.

The questions:

1. Should I try to connect this tablet to the PC (Internet) via USB in order to get "updates" ?
2. Is this necessary? The tablet is running Android Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0).
3. If yes, how is this done? Would I need some special software in order to connect for that?

4. (Android related): Where do I find a COMPLETE set of instructions - possibly with visual aids - to explain on how to properly use the Android system of the tablet?
I am having a tough time to even move a file from one section of the tablet to another, for example: move a text document (I made a test document already and it is now stored in the "Gestionnaire de documents" (French, that thing is ... !) and I would like to be able to move it right at the very first page when the unit is turned on. So I don't have to dig in deep to retrieve it.

5. How to I temporarily remove/disable the main screen "Weather forecasts" (I thing that is what that is - showing the temperature, etc ...) and other such notifications, such as the thing showing " 0 emails ".
Those are on the main screen when I turn the unit on.
I have not yet connected a router here, so nothing is ready for WiFi ---Internet connection. It will soon be done though.

6. If/when I connect the tablet to the computer (PC) via the USB, the tablet should show as some sort of external drive, right? Can I move things around in there the same way as I would in the PC itself ?
Can I move files from one folder to another, etc ... ?

Wow! I think this is it for now !

Again, I apologize for the lenghty introduction but as I said: I am totally new at this !

Hoping someone will jump in and offer some suggestions.

Thanks you,

TF700

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi TF700, congratulations on your new Asus tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Asus TF700 Forum for you, where more people with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
I have been able to connect the tablet itself to the PC and it does show as a device which can be accessed as expected.
HOWEVER, once the docking station is attached to the tablet, the connection is not working ... the computer does not recognize the tablet-keyboard combo.:confused::confused:

If I check in the tablet, it says: "ASUS Synch has not installed or it has not been installed on your computer .... bla, bla, bla, ... "
And it asked to get it from asus support !!??

There seems to be some sort of mishap once the keyboard is attached, very annoying!
This means that when I want to access files/folders contained in the tablet, I have to remove the keyboard (docking station).

If anyone has any suggestion as to what is going on and how to fix this, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you!

JP

So, I took Print Screen shots to show what the computer is seeing:

1. Without the docking station ... all is well:

$ASUS TF700 tablet alone.jpg

2. With the docking station ... the computer doesn't recognize it:

$ASUS TF700 tablet and keyboard.jpg

Last edited:

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
This is really starting to annoy me ... to say the least ! :mad:

I think I did everything possible to make this work, but now that ASUS Sync has been installed, it is just there shoing as a pretty much "useless" thing which only shows this:

$ASUS Sync screen.jpg

When I click on "Installer" (Install), I am getting this:

$ASUS Sync screen 2.png

Is that all there is? What am I supposed to do with it?

Also: how in the world can you get on the Internet from the TF700 tablet if you are not connected to a WiFi network but connected nevertheless via the USB cable - the tablet sure shows that I am connected but if I tap on one application, eg: Google (from the tablet) I get nowhere ?
It just tries to open a Network (WiFi) connection. !!! :confused:

Edit: Just saw this while searching for an answer: " The only internet connectivity supported by the TF700 is through 2.4GHz WiFi or Bluetooth 3. A GPS sensor is also present." :eek:

OK' I must be some very dumb ass but I am ready to bring this thing back to the store. :(

Sorry 'bout the rant, folks.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm wondering if you can explain in 1 short paragraph what you are wanting to do?

So far, what you have explained is normal from what I can understand. Your TF will only appear as a device on your computer if the charging cable is used, on the charging port of the tablet. Not on the dock/keyboard.

What exactly did you want to do?

Going back to your first post:
#1 No, updates can be installed via WiFi and you are currently 1 full version behind if still on ICS. You should be on Jelly Bean

#2 See #1

#3 You already managed to do that

#4 There is no comprehensive manual but under the Tips and Tricks section of the forum you will find pretty mush all you need to get started. As for moving a file from one area of the storage to another, a long press of the file in File Manager will allow you to do cut/copy moves etc.

#5, Under settings - apps - all finding the weather app and taping it will allow you to disable it. For other widgets you can long press the widget and it should show a remove icon at the top of the screen. Drag it there. Some of the widgets can be deleted from the screen, some can be disabled but to disable others requires that you root your TF700. You should wait until you are more familiar with it before considering that move.

#6. No. It will display as an external device bur not an external drive.

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
Thank you very much for the help! :)

I think I am way over my head with this tablet but I do very much appreciate your help here.

I suppose I should be trying to update to the next Android version: Jelly Bean?

Nonetheless, I will definitely try a few of your recommendations before I hit bang my head on the wall! :(

One last thing, and this happened at the end of my very long "trial" session, I got a message from ASUS Sync telling me that no device was connected while the unit was definitely plugged in; it is in French but to translate more or less acurately, it says: "No device found"

$ASUS sync No device connection screen.jpg

Thanks again for your help!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You may want to restart your computer, maybe even with your TF plugged in. Some people, for some reason having to do with their computer configurations are not able to get their tablets connected at all. There are several apps that will allow you to browse your TF directly and even transfer files over your WiFi network. WiFi File Explorer and WiFi File Transfer are 2 I use.

There are also file manager, ES File Explorer is a fav of mine, that allow you to access a share on your computer directly. Good for streaming or transferring files.

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
This tablet connects to the internet through its Wi-Fi connection. You do not need a USB connection to get connected to the internet.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
TF700, you sound like an impatient lover.! :-D.You have a new toy, just enjoy it, touch everything, it doesn't break, try everything , discover what it can do for you! If you were able to learn how to use a PC, you can learn how to use an Android tablet, much easier. Whatever you want to do,press "menu" and it will give you the options or just press and hold on the screen and the options might pop up.
You got yourself a great tablet, just relax and enjoy it and welcome to the forum!

Nibiru2012

Oct 6, 2012
I agree totally with idontknow, kick back and explore the Android Jelly Bean OS. Get to know it, etc.