New Kindle Paperwhite Joins Confusion of Kindles – Which Kindle is Right for You?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Summary: Amazon announced this week that its newest Kindle, the Kindle Paperwhite, will start shipping at the end of ths month. So what does the new and improved Kindle Paperwhite have to offer that the original flavour Kindle and the Kindle DX don't? (It makes no sense to compare the Kindle Paperwhite to the Kindle Fire, as they are completely different animals - the Fire being a full-fledged tablet, and the Paperwhite being a reader only.)
Amazon announced this week that its newest Kindle, the Kindle Paperwhite, will start shipping at the end of ths month. So what does the new and improved Kindle Paperwhite have to offer that the original flavour Kindle and the Kindle DX don’t? (It makes no sense to compare the Kindle Paperwhite to the Kindle Fire, as they are completely different animals – the Fire being a full-fledged tablet, and the Paperwhite being a reader only.)

The primary way that the Paperwhite differs from the original Kindle is that it has a built-in backlight, glare-free screen, better resolution, the screen is slightly larger, and it has nearly twice the battery life.

kindle-paper-white-20130904-151637.jpg

Also, you can buy it (for $70.00 more) with built-in free 3G connectivity (remember Whispernet?)

By contrast, the Kindle DX has free 3G on-board at no extra cost. And twice the storage capacity. But no wi-fi.

Here is a chart that shows the primary features of each of the Kindle eReaders (again, not including the Kindle Fire, which is a full-featured tablet, although we note that you can get a Kindle Fire starting at $159.)

Nearly all Kindles now come in a choice of two options: with “special offers” (read as: advertising), or, for tens of dollars more, without the ‘special offers’:

kindle-comparison-chart-20130904-151819.jpg

New Kindle Paperwhite Joins Confusion of Kindles ? Which Kindle is Right for You? - The Internet Patrol

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
I'm actually considering picking up the new Kindle Paperwhite at the end of the month. I read quite a bit and although you can read books on a general-use entertainment tablet (like the Nexus 7) it's not ideal.
I particularly like the battery life and non-glare screen. I always apply matte/satin screen protectors to my tablets for high-light situations, but image sharpness is unfortunately reduced. Somewhat defeats the purpose of a high resolution tablet.

Jun 29, 2011
I'm actually considering picking up the new Kindle Paperwhite at the end of the month. I read quite a bit and although you can read books on a general-use entertainment tablet (like the Nexus 7) it's not ideal.
I particularly like the battery life and non-glare screen. I always apply matte/satin screen protectors to my tablets for high-light situations, but image sharpness is unfortunately reduced. Somewhat defeats the purpose of a high resolution tablet.

I've been using a gen 1 Paperwhite since they first came out. I use it inside, outside, well lit, totally dark, when the wife is driving and other times. The front lit display is friggin awesome if you're changing to differing lighting conditions and don't want to change any settings but still be able to comfortably read. It's easy on the eyes in any condition without having to add the external light source , that always create shadows, like standard kindle models in low to no light
If you're going to want to download books while away from Wi-Fi spends the money for the 3g version but the 3g only works for Amazon kindle content and not general web surfing. If you won't be frequently syncing between devices (whisper sync) or adding books when away from Wi-Fi save the money and get a Wi-Fi only. I got the 3g version could have done just fine with the Wi-Fi only one that I gave to my daughter
Speaking of browser, the web browser is better than nothing but not a whole lot.
I used to use my tablets for reading in low light but they were hard on my eyes and the constant syncing between my Kindle Touch and tablets got really old.
I use it for pdf books as well as Kindle books by sending the pdf file to my Kindle address (just register your device or Kindle app on Amazon website and it gives you an @kindle.com address) then syncing to the Kindle.
If what I'm reading at differing places, that the new one is 25% sharper fonts and faster responses , it's going to be more impressive but if you can find a generation 1 at a deal it's definitely no slouch and I'd think you'll be satisfied with its performance. I've purchased 2 of them and have been very satisfied with the quality of both.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate