New Market Fix

coyoteblue

Mar 1, 2011
I found this yesterday courtesy of Isira. Works with gtab using g-harmony v1.2 and I believe on Vegan 5.11 as well. Perhaps other roms. I am now able to get programs that would not show up before like samurai vengence and air attack hd. Very nice.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1020130

icon1.gif
Market Fix - All Froyo Apps + Tegra 2 Apps
In addition to the standard Market Fix to get protected applications working (clearing cache/data), we also need to trick Google to think we have a Tegra 2 device.
We simply need to change the following line in /system/build.prop

ro.product.device=olympus

This tells Google Market we are using a Motorola Atrix 4G and will give us the missing Tegra 2 apps when applying our market fix.

Cheers!

Edit:
It is well known that the Google Web Market is hit and miss on our GTablets. This thread indicates it may take a few days for our tablet's to show up on the web interface. However, what this fix does is allow you to download most of the Froyo + Tegra2 apps via the Market Application within our tablets. There will be applications that will refuse to install through the web market interface (if your tablet can actually show up on the darn thing) because of missing capabilities, but will install just fine via the Market app.

If you want to install apps using a web browser from your Desktop computer, I recommend the use of Appbrain to generate your list of desired apps and then syncing your list on the tablet to install.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks coyoteblue! I'll try this out and add it to the [HowTo] sticky.

Amdusias440

Mar 29, 2011
So it looks like a lot of people are doing this, and it tricks the market into thinking you have the Atrix, HOWEVER is still isn't showing the tablet apps. So who here can find the string that is in the Motorola Xoom? The hardware is close enough that the string shouldn't lead you too far astray right?

Amdusias440

Mar 29, 2011
EDIT: DO NOT USE STINGRAY - IT UPDATED MY ADW EX TO A HONEYCOMB VERSION AND LEFT ME IN REBOOT LOOP!!!

Got it. The string for Xoom would look like this:
ro.product.device=stingray

I will be trying this tonight when I get home.

So the Xoom runs Honeycomb, and there are API's there not available to the froyo build...so ....still not the best.
What tablet does the market recognize that would be close enough to us in hardware and software?

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So i have done the magic and can report that this works. i am seeing more apps, and seeing the HD apps I couldn't see before.

Nice when the fix is as easy to do as this!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I changed to Olympus

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using the Android Tablet app!

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
What specific app should I be looking for in the market to see if this worked?

edit... check that... it was pretty obvious once I got into it... even brought up a few tablet versions of apps(NY times tablet, wallstreet journal).... flash player 10.2 showed... and to get a really good idea of the high end games available check out the Nvidia Tegra zone app... this is Deff worth doing...

And I will add confirmation that it works on Vegan5.1.1....

Last edited:

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
Made the device name change and saw the new apps, but couldn't download any (always failed). Tried rebooting (didn't work) and then cleared the market and framework service data. Now I'm stuck with the "an error has occured, please try again later" when launching the market, even after I reboot. Any ideas on how to fix this, short of doing a factory reset and/or reinstalling the rom?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Made the device name change and saw the new apps, but couldn't download any (always failed). Tried rebooting (didn't work) and then cleared the market and framework service data. Now I'm stuck with the "an error has occured, please try again later" when launching the market, even after I reboot. Any ideas on how to fix this, short of doing a factory reset and/or reinstalling the rom?

Try the first market fix again and see if that clears up your errors.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010

Are you doing a "reboot".. or a full shut down...

actually turn the device full off and give it a 20 count before you try to turn it back on.. just rebooting wont do it.. or so it wouldn't for me...

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
I did both. I ended up doing a factory reset and reflashing the ROM. But now I get "can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" when trying to even add my account on the fresh install. However, the only connection I have is a Wifi tether from my phone right now, so I'm wondering if that's possibly an issue. Though I'm not even sure about that...when it tries to connect to Google, my phone shows no activity through the tether. I'm just going to wait until I get home from work later and try again. All else fails I'll flash my backup from a few days ago and hopefully that will fix things.

Update: As expected, for some reason google doesn't want to connect when your connection is sourced for a 3g tether already associated with a google account. I found another wifi source and had no problem syncing back up this time.

Last edited: