New Problems with Google Play Store and Other Apps

BruceM

Jun 24, 2011
Starting a few days ago I have been having problems with Google Play Store and several other apps on my tablet. Frequently I get popups saying "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped." The only way I can stop them is by reinstalling an older version of Store (but of course it periodically updates itself, so I have to reinstall the old one again). I was also getting these messages every few minutes from Google Play Books, so I uninstalled it. Several other apps have stopped working (e.g., Dream Journal Pro), giving the same message. I have tried reinstalling them from backups, and it doesn't help, even if I go back to old versions that used to work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dream Journal Pro from the Play cloud, and it went through the install procedure, but when it got to the end (where it usually gives the Done / Open choices), it simply said "App not installed" and just gave the Done option.

I see that there has been a lot of complaint about Google Play Services, which updated about this time, and so I wonder if that could be the problem. Maybe I should just wait for them to fix it?

Since this started, I am also having more trouble with apps not launching due to insufficient memory. (I assume that's the problem, since if I kill all the tasks, they will launch.) In these cases, there is no popup; it just goes back to the previous screen after failing to launch.

I have 182MB out of 1GB internal storage available, 7.6GB out of 13.5GB internal SD, and 8.4GB out of 15.2GB external SD. DiskUsage shows 17.7MB out of 31.9MB available on Storage Card, 8.8MB out of 36MB available in /system/vendor/app. I have used AppMgr Pro III to move all apps but 3 to the SD card (which it interprets, apparently, as the internal SD card).

Generally speaking, launching of apps is sometimes much slower (sometimes a couple minutes). During this time, the tablet doesn't respond to the android buttons (back, home, recent apps), or only at long intervals. Generally speaking, everything seems a little flakier this past week. Occasionally the tablet reboots itself for no apparent reason.

I've thought about doing a factory reset, and maybe taking the opportunity to upgrade the firmware, but this seems to be a pain if it's a temporary Google problem that they will fix, or a memory capacity problem.

Ainol Novo 7 Venus, Android 4.1.1, kernel 3.4.0.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bruce

jonling

Apr 3, 2012
Try going into Settings/Developer Options, and check "Don't keep activities"

Hopefully that keep some more memory open for apps to use...

Starting a few days ago I have been having problems with Google Play Store and several other apps on my tablet. Frequently I get popups saying "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped." The only way I can stop them is by reinstalling an older version of Store (but of course it periodically updates itself, so I have to reinstall the old one again). I was also getting these messages every few minutes from Google Play Books, so I uninstalled it. Several other apps have stopped working (e.g., Dream Journal Pro), giving the same message. I have tried reinstalling them from backups, and it doesn't help, even if I go back to old versions that used to work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dream Journal Pro from the Play cloud, and it went through the install procedure, but when it got to the end (where it usually gives the Done / Open choices), it simply said "App not installed" and just gave the Done option.

I see that there has been a lot of complaint about Google Play Services, which updated about this time, and so I wonder if that could be the problem. Maybe I should just wait for them to fix it?

Since this started, I am also having more trouble with apps not launching due to insufficient memory. (I assume that's the problem, since if I kill all the tasks, they will launch.) In these cases, there is no popup; it just goes back to the previous screen after failing to launch.

I have 182MB out of 1GB internal storage available, 7.6GB out of 13.5GB internal SD, and 8.4GB out of 15.2GB external SD. DiskUsage shows 17.7MB out of 31.9MB available on Storage Card, 8.8MB out of 36MB available in /system/vendor/app. I have used AppMgr Pro III to move all apps but 3 to the SD card (which it interprets, apparently, as the internal SD card).

Generally speaking, launching of apps is sometimes much slower (sometimes a couple minutes). During this time, the tablet doesn't respond to the android buttons (back, home, recent apps), or only at long intervals. Generally speaking, everything seems a little flakier this past week. Occasionally the tablet reboots itself for no apparent reason.

I've thought about doing a factory reset, and maybe taking the opportunity to upgrade the firmware, but this seems to be a pain if it's a temporary Google problem that they will fix, or a memory capacity problem.

Ainol Novo 7 Venus, Android 4.1.1, kernel 3.4.0.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bruce

BruceM

Jun 24, 2011
Try going into Settings/Developer Options, and check "Don't keep activities"

Hopefully that keep some more memory open for apps to use...

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and it does seem to help a little. However, the Play Store still stops every few minutes (unless I reinstall an older version, from June). Apps sometimes quit or don't launch, and everything seems very sluggish.

RECER2003

Nov 24, 2013
I had the same problem and had to factory reset. Fixed it. Apparently Google play Store or another app corrupted the tablet.