New to android tablets from a silver surfer

newdyrymes

May 19, 2013
Hi
As a newby on this site, can someone help me with regard to taking my Android tablet out of my home and into world! I took it to a friends home for the first time last night but couldn't log on to the internet without a password. This is in a home with wi-fi too. I would like to take it on holiday and I was under the impression that you could take it anywhere where this a wi-fi set up and it would log on automatically. Maybe I am a tad naive, so can someone help me please with relevant details.

Thanks

roseysan

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Roseysan, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. AFAIK everyone with a home network, like your friend has, can, should and does protect it with a password. It's done mostly to protect their computer from unauthorized access. What you need to find, when away from home, are "Hot Spots" with unprotected wireless access. Many businesses such as McDonalds restaurants, public libraries etc. provide this free of charge. When you turn your tablet on, it should display a list of all the WiFi locations within range of your tablet. The list also displays the relative strength of the signal and whether or not it's protected. Select an unprotected one and you should be able to automatically log on. Enjoy your tablet and the forum!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Who knew Smokey was nearly bald, and who knew he also smokes? I guess that's so he can start his own forest fire if there's a shortage of them in his territory. (Job security?):cool:

islandman

Apr 4, 2013
Before you go, I would suggest you google "wifi hotspots in.........." without quotes but adding your holiday destination and making notes. I too am a newbie and as yet, haven't taken my tablet out the house, however I noticed last time we were in a big supermarket (tesco) it said free wifi, so next time my wife goes shopping, I will sit down with tablet and go through process of logging in to their system, just to see if it really is as easy as they say.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I will sit down with tablet and go through process of logging in to their system, just to see if it really is as easy as they say.

Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised. The supermarket my wife shops at also has free WiFi and all I had to do was turn on my WiFi and tap their site when it appeared as one that was in range.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Lucky to have wives who don't mind doing all the work, lol.

That's exactly what she keeps telling me.:rolleyes: You can do it too though. All you have to do is go shopping with her and make sure every time she turns around there are more and more candy bars and snacks in the cart. After a while, she'll get tired of putting things back on the shelf and you'll be forbidden to go shopping except in emergencies.:cool: