New user problems

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
I just bought the G tablet and I am having some issues. I guess I need to know if there is a problem with my G tablet or if I just need to root the ROM. I don't want to change anything if I have to send it back. When I tap the screen, it doesn't always respond. I downloaded some Apps from Amazon and some of them continually come up with a Force Close statement. I downloaded a free game app that has a marble moving through a maze. The response is incredibly slow. I can move the g-tab almost vertical and the marble stays put. Then it will fall rapidly after a few seconds. I downloaded a compass app and it doesn't work either. So my question is this: Are the problems associated with the stock ROM or do I have a pad tablet? Barbara

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
Model UPC300-2.2
Android OS version 2.2
Tap UI Version 1.2-4349
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-00001-g0e0c333-dirty hudson@tapntapsvn #1
Build Number FRF91

I hope this tells you what ROM i have. If it doesn't can you let me know how to find it.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Barbara, your gtablet has the latest firmware. Actually this firmware was released two days ago, but ceased to be available for update over the air by Viewsonic after a day. The gtablet should work fine with that firmware, although there is no compatible modified firmware (or Rom).
Earlier firmware 1.1.3588 or before is compatible with many modified and improved firmwares (or Rom's).
In any event, any stock firmware by Viewsonic would perform reasonable well and should not experience such behavior as you described. If you can afford to read and understand the concept of rooting, flashing and fixing thru many excellent posts here or at other forums, then give it a try to downgrade to earlier firmware and flashing a modded Rom. This may take days.
Or you can take it back and ask your retailer to exchange for another unit, then start from a good baseline.
Dave

IndyLateNite

Mar 14, 2011
Be VERY CAREFULL if you attempt to go back to a 1.1 based Rom. It is not an easy process for a novice. You can easily brick your g-tab.

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
There is a market fix for 4349 so u can use android market. but If u wanna install custom rom read up on this "how to nvflash" post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=861950 and you can also YouTube "gtablet nvflash" and watch it if u need to. Then follow nvflash directions and nvflash back from 4349 to 3588. Make sure when u get to the first link on the page you download the nvflash_windows but don't dl the nvflash_gtablet2010110500.zip from the link. Scroll to bottom of nvflash post and dl the link from the "4/17/2011 update" nvflash_gtablet20110417.zip from mediafire. Then create a file in computer called nvflash and right click the two .zip dl's and extract them into the nvflash File so they're all together and follow the directions from there. Then look for the installing clockworkmod and custom rom sticky in this forum and go to town. Here are some more detailed custom rom directions http://www.blendblog.net/Default.aspx?tabid=36&EntryID=67 I don't know why I write out the same thing over and over when I can copy and paste. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 using Android Tablet Forum

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Guys, roebeet released a 4349-based ROM today:

[ROM] Mountain Laurel alternative 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

It's a piece of cake to install if you're running the stock 4349 ROM. Barb, it takes a little time and practice, but in principle there's no reason why you couldn't update to the new ROM (it's called "Mountain Laurel," how picturesque!) and then roll back to the stock 4349 version you have right now. But like fridge and others are advising, you should spend a few days getting to know the process before you give it a try. Watching a few short youtube videos is a huge confidence booster. :)

Oh, my 2 cents are that you probably don't have hardware problems...the stock software can be a little buggy. Dave's right, a lot of people have decent experiences on the stock ROM (including me) but oh you should read the Amazon reviews...lots of unhappy stock owners there (though many of those are based on the original firmware).

-Matt

Last edited:

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
I read a bunch of the reviews on Amazon. No one has said anything about the touch screen being unresponsive. I'm not talking about just being slow. I will touch a button on the screen and nothing will happen. I'm still not sure whether the problem is this particular tablet has a hardware problem or not. I may just return it and if the next one has the same issues, then I will try to root the OS. Also, when I first started this up, it wanted me to upgrade - that's probably why I have the newest firmware. Any more advice on whether to return it or not?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
@Dave, you're right the forum is down! Very odd. I will try to post a thread later today, but as I don't have a copy of the ROM itself, we'll have to wait to download that.

@Barbara, I wasn't sure about the touchscreen issue--every so often, I need to tap an icon twice, nothing major--but I think what you're experiencing is more serious. Given your concerns, I'd suggest swapping it out for a new one.

-Matt

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
My touch screen is very responsive. There is a calibration app available on the xda-developers forum (Gtablet section, apps and themes) that works well.

As for your issue with the compass app, there is no internal compass hardware so that app will not work. Basic tilt should work well enough, I've done a few driving games but generally I don't like turning the screen to steer. As to why the marble game was working wonky....I don't know. The sensitivity of the tablet may not be great/precise enough for it. It's G-sensor is pretty basic.

I just bought the G tablet and I am having some issues. I guess I need to know if there is a problem with my G tablet or if I just need to root the ROM. I don't want to change anything if I have to send it back. When I tap the screen, it doesn't always respond. I downloaded some Apps from Amazon and some of them continually come up with a Force Close statement. I downloaded a free game app that has a marble moving through a maze. The response is incredibly slow. I can move the g-tab almost vertical and the marble stays put. Then it will fall rapidly after a few seconds. I downloaded a compass app and it doesn't work either. So my question is this: Are the problems associated with the stock ROM or do I have a pad tablet? Barbara

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I read a bunch of the reviews on Amazon. No one has said anything about the touch screen being unresponsive. I'm not talking about just being slow. I will touch a button on the screen and nothing will happen. I'm still not sure whether the problem is this particular tablet has a hardware problem or not. I may just return it and if the next one has the same issues, then I will try to root the OS. Also, when I first started this up, it wanted me to upgrade - that's probably why I have the newest firmware. Any more advice on whether to return it or not?

JUST TO CLARIFY ...please excuse me if it is seems silly after you read it..

are you actually touching the screen with your finger tip (not your nail tip, pen tip or some other object) this IS a capacitive screen and you have to physically touch it with your flesh to have it work correctly...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hello Matt, I'd like to try that, but the forum is not accessible for now. Don't know for how long. Would you be so kind to open a new post with a few basic instruction? Thanks,
Dave
Morning Dave! I've put together a beginner's level thread on installing Mountain Laurel--it's the only 4349-based modified ROM that I'm aware of at the moment:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...in-laurel-rom-some-basic-steps.html#post77960

Of course you know all the steps...but I've also included the links you'll need for convenience!

Let us know if you give it a try. :)

-Matt

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
Matt, Thanks for the advice. I am touching with my finger. I tend to get frustrated and push harder, which I know isn't going to help. Is it possible some of the apps just don't work on this tablet? If so, how would I find that out. For example, I just downloaded unblock me free from the handango last night and I couldn't get the push any of the buttons. I tried it again today and every once in a while the play button will get pushed, but nothing else. Do you know if they sell these at best buy? I may go int here tonight and check out the tablet there and compare the response to mine.

barbarawhite

Apr 18, 2011
I was playing with it some more and noticed that the problem is a lot worse when I am in portrait mode. The apps that seem to be the most troublesome don't rotate to landscape mode.