Newbie needs help with Coby MID7015 from the pros

purpleroses

Mar 4, 2011
Hey! Another newbie here to this forum and all forums. Appreciate your patience. I am not at all familiar with Android OS (familiar with only Windows). I have a used MID 7015 (without the "A") and had tried to root. Could not unzip the update file I had installed on the mini SD. Previously installed were apps were Term Emulator and Superuser. I downloaded z4root plus AndExplorer; they did not install to the SD card but rather to the nand memory. Need help with that - installing to SD card from browser on Kyros. My big question is if I remove the programs I downloaded and do a factory reset, will there be any residual that would prevent the update file from unzipping? Thanks​

cableguy520

Feb 24, 2011
I had to do a factory reset during my 1st root attempt of my Kyros. Although I didn't have my files on the nand. I didn't have any further issues after repeating the process a 2nd time.
I do recall reading a post where someone did install the files to the internal memory and was able to still get it rooted, just had to look there instead of the sd card. I believe it was able in stickies. Best of luck!

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

purpleroses

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the info Cableguy520! I had read a coupla threads where doing a factory reset had made the tablet run slower or lose the keyboard, et al. I would be at a total loss if the tablet "crashed". Well...here goes!

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
Check youtube, there's a great video on how to root the Kyros.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

fxdominicano

Feb 4, 2011
First of all see the video from Coby of how to update the firmware of your Kyros and do it, after that you root it

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

purpleroses

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the info; however, I have done all of the above. Plus, I did a factory reset removing data and clearing cache. Nothing worked. I was able to unzip the file through And Explorer; however, writing the string to move the file (per phase3 on you tube) gave me an error that file was not found. Looking at his screen, I see that my files unzipped looked nothing like the tutorial. I found the file not in system/etc, but in recovery - again through And Explorer. I also downloaded and unzipped the gapps-passion file... Opening z4 tells me I have rooted. I am very rusty at writing string commands; and am wary of screwing with the OS command files. As a Padawan, many a computer I have played with and messed up commands - needing more expertise for correction - lol!
Also, I do not understand nand - understand it is internal memory, but unzipping anything on there will clutter main mem? not sure. Supposedly, there is 4gb internal. I am showing 2.71gb. Does Android take up that much space? Initially it showed 2.72 (before And Explorer, z4root, and Term Emulator).
Any other suggestions? Thanks :)

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
The video on YouTube is good but there are some extra steps you have to take to take if you have uploaded the update to 7015a. The recovery_image file is not included in the system/bin on the update. You have to extract it from an old update and put it in system/bin. In the "step by step" thread it will tell you how to do this.

purpleroses

Mar 4, 2011
The video on YouTube is good but there are some extra steps you have to take to take if you have uploaded the update to 7015a. The recovery_image file is not included in the system/bin on the update. You have to extract it from an old update and put it in system/bin. In the "step by step" thread it will tell you how to do this.

Thanks for the info. I have heard about the older update, though have not been able to locate a link.
also, not sure that I've updated at all. That's the issue. Wondering if this is a newer 7015 with some tweaks and I'm spinning my gears, 'cause there is nothing showing I've transitioned to 7015A. Does the 1.6a indicate this? :confused:

TIFFG0428

Mar 13, 2011
hey im lost too here dont even know what the heck im doing i did the update from kyros and it didnt change anything so then i did the step by step root update or whatever that was and once i got into clockworkmod recovery mode i couldnt load the gapps zip file i kept going back to the main menu and selecting install zip from sd card and nothing so idk what to do or whats going on either! i just want to use my kyros easily and have access to the google apps and market i only get the applib idk! anyone have any help for me???