[News] TetherGPS brings GPS navigation to Nook Color, in a manner of speaking

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The smart folks over at ComptonSoft are looking to provide a GPS receiver to your mobile device in a rather unconventional way. TetherGPS links up your Android phone's GPS to the Nook Color by means of WiFi -- either on the same network or via a WiFi tether -- because the Nook Color is lacking in the standard usable Bluetooth department. After connecting the two devices, it makes a second link by running a TGPS server on the phone and a TGPS client on the Nook. The two devices are then intertwined in a blissful, all-you-can-GPS buffet of routes and roads. For the most part, the Nook's location-aware Android applications, such as Google Maps, will draw from this connection for location data and use it as if there were a GPS receiver on board. TetherGPS is up for grabs for $2.99 on the Android Market, and there's also a free "Lite" version for those who only need GPS for five minutes at a time -- we'll assume you know who you are.
Source: TetherGPS brings GPS navigation to Nook Color, in a manner of speaking -- Engadget

Awesome, one step closer to brilliance. :)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
That's really cool, but maybe too many gadgets to bring in the car at the same time...

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
That is pretty cool but it does seem a little excesive. I mean, if you have a phone with turn by turn nav doing a few extra steps to get the nook set up seems like a watse. Until a car dock comes out for the nook you could always make the wife hold it! lol

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Very cool idea...now if I just had an android phone! lol

How do you sleep at night? ;/

That is pretty cool but it does seem a little excesive. I mean, if you have a phone with turn by turn nav doing a few extra steps to get the nook set up seems like a watse. Until a car dock comes out for the nook you could always make the wife hold it! lol

Only if you want to have your nook broken across your head.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I already connect Nook to my symbian phone to get internet access at work .only thing missing now is to find a way to do that for GPS.
BT connection still seems the best way though as I already own an external receiver .
Ndrive is waiting ..

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
It works! Money well spent. Now can someone recommend a windshield holder for my Nook?

I stumbled upon this app yesterday and that was exactly my thought. I was actually planning on creating such an app but no need to now.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
hmm -if i read this correctly, unless your phone supports infrastructure or hot spot, you need to enable adhoc on the nook - can someone verify?