Newsmy T3 Newpad Issues

jaredu

Jun 28, 2012
Hey everyone! I just received my Newsmy T3 tablet from lightinthebox and have a few issues that I have spent nights researching possible resolutions and have found nothing that works!

When plugging in the tablet to my windows 7 64bit I was asked to format the storage device. I accidentally formatted it and now I am left with just around 500mb as well as an error that says "damaged storage" and it will attempt to fix it by formatting the internal storage. I am pretty sure that format on my PC messed up the storage extension and now it is reading it as a FAT rather than some ext format. Windows sees both of my mass USB storage drives but shows 0b available and no media so it's there, it just has issues being read. I have tried full system formatting, erasing data, and went into the stock recovery to delete cache, full data erase, etc. with no results.

So from this point I read I could root, install some form of CWM and do a partition format and get it readable again. However, I have tried countless rooting attempts which has never worked. I believe the drivers are installed as when I plugged in my tablet it installed Newsmy drivers and under windows device manage it shows Android Phone as the device and ADB driver.

At the very least I figured I could do is download the original rom from Newsmy's site and then flash the .img. I ran rkbatchtool and selected the update.img to ICS 4.0 but my device is never found to be connected no matter what. I put it in recovery mode, enabled and disabled usb debugging but the tool never reads my device.

I'm absolutely stuck and returning it is not feasible nor would I trust sending my tablet back and not receiving a refund or even a replacement. Any suggestions that could be specific to my T3 or similar device (but different name)?

Thank you in advance from keeping me from smashing this tablet!!!

DanShane

May 16, 2012
At the very least I figured I could do is download the original rom from Newsmy's site and then flash the .img. I ran rkbatchtool and selected the update.img to ICS 4.0 but my device is never found to be connected no matter what. I put it in recovery mode, enabled and disabled usb debugging but the tool never reads my device.

I'm absolutely stuck and returning it is not feasible nor would I trust sending my tablet back and not receiving a refund or even a replacement. Any suggestions that could be specific to my T3 or similar device (but different name)?

I ran into the same problem when trying to gain root access on my T3. My tablet is not seen by the RKbatchtool though it is detected by Windows as an ADB Android Phone. I'm hoping someone can indeed provide a solution for this since it seems the only way to change the ROM or root the T3 is by use of a client tool. The Newsmy doesn't allow direct access from a TF card in recovery mode as many other tablets do.

Jayel

Jun 30, 2012
>snip<

I got the T7 for my wife from Lightinthebox, and got a bad unit and returned it (International Expressmail) with no problems. However I can't do anything at the Newsmy site because it needs a serial number and I can't find anything that it will take. :( Where is that dang number??

jaredu

Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for the posts guys. Seems like we are all sort of stuck. Well I do have good news (at least on my end)...I finally managed to get root access! That's a HUGE improvement over my basically dead tablet just a few days ago. In case you haven't rooted yet, I used CubeRoot Tools for the Cube U9GT2. It was very easy and the hardest part were getting the right drivers installed when I attached my tablet. It would automatically want to install a mass USB driver and once I uninstalled them and managed to get the Android ADB Interface installed it worked perfectly (I originally had RK29 device as the driver and it would not recognize it).

Now my next step is to either use my root access within the android OS itself to somehow reformat the internal storage and get android to recognize the 8GB I'm missing, OR I can find a way to install CWM and format the internal space there and install CyanogenMod and play with that. The only problem is that I have very very little linux experience to install it on my device.

If anyone has suggestions from this point on I'd greatly appreciate it!!! At least I know I don't have a completely dead tablet now!

Link to CubeRoot/instructions: [ROOT TOOL] for ICS 4.0.3

Jayel: I had the same problem trying to find the firmware for my T3 and after reading countless forums, I found a user who found the server holding all the firmware without going through the S/N verification (which never worked for me even after I found the S/N under system settings in the about phone menu)

Link to firmware: http://220.168.57.227:1949/cunchu/

Last edited:

Discovered

May 23, 2012
Well I do know how to root the t3 I will post it when I get to a PC. From the newsmy support forum

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

DanShane

May 16, 2012
Thanks for the posts guys. Seems like we are all sort of stuck. Well I do have good news (at least on my end)...I finally managed to get root access! That's a HUGE improvement over my basically dead tablet just a few days ago. In case you haven't rooted yet, I used CubeRoot Tools for the Cube U9GT2. It was very easy and the hardest part were getting the right drivers installed when I attached my tablet.

Link to firmware: http://220.168.57.227:1949/cunchu/

Wow! That did the trick! I now have root access, opening whole new worlds for my T3.

Thanks a lot!

Discovered

May 23, 2012
Now has anyone actually done the upgrade on the T3? when I do it I don't think it does anything at all?

cfrantzol

Sep 5, 2012
It is strange but this fine tablet (Newsmy T3) is poorly covered in the web. It has been very difficult to find any info about flashing or rooting it let alone finding the correct rom.
I just managed to root the device. It was not so easy as implied in some posts because adb shell was unable to copy superuser.apk and su to the revelant folders even after remounting system as rw. But it seems that this tablet comes with busybox preinstalled (even though as non routed, busybox cant work properly until you root the device). So when connected via adb shell you can copy the above files to system/app and /bin respectively by issuing the revelant busybox commands. In brief do the following:
1) Google for superuser.apk and su for ICS 4.0.4 and download the two files.
2) Send those files to your sdcard with adb (issue those 2 commands: adb push superuser.apk /sdcard/superuser.apk and adb push su /sdcard/su)
3) Go into console mode (adb shell) and issue the following commands:
4) su (gain original privileges)
5) mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mtdblock8 /system (This remounts the system folder as rw)
There is already a su file under system/xbin (or system/bin) on this device, now it is time to copy it on your sdcard as a backup in case something goes wrong.
Now with the help of busybox you can copy su and superuser to the desired locations...
6) busybox cp /sdcard/superuser.apk /system/app/superuser.apk
7) busybox cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
8) busybox cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su
Next, set the correct permissions for su:
9) busybox chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
10) busybox chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
All ok now exit adb shell...
11) exit
At this point your newsmy T3 is already rooted and you can check it with any free software like rootcheck. Once checked, reboot the device and youre done.
Hope this helps.

jorcarre

Sep 30, 2012
Hello.
I bought my tablet Newsmy T3 (8Gb) on july, and after installing a lot of software the system become unstable and resets usually again and again.
The unic solution was to make a "Factory Reset".
After do this the system works properly again, but It was a mistake on the internal storage memory:
On the settings/Storage Menu I could read a Total space of 6'13Gb, but only 4'1Gb available (my tablet have 8Gb),
and when I connected the tablet to my computer (with Windows XP-SP3) it did not recognize this memory and ask me about formatting it.
I did it as FAT32 and when I power up the tablet again a message from android said me that the internal storage memory was damaged, and maybe
it must be reformatted. Now I don't have internal storage memory and I can't install new software.
Reading the forum I found this thread with similar problem, but my experience with android it is not great, and I don't know about routing the tablet.
Please, could someone help me to restore my memory?.Thanks. (PD: I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm from Spain).