Next Nexus 7 Device Coming in July With the 16GB Version at a $229 Price Point

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
google-nexus-7-tablet-logo-logo.png

If rumors from DigiTimes are correct, Google has no plans to chase the ultra-cheap pricing model to the bottom of the toilet with their next Nexus 7. According to their sources, Google is planning to stick with similar pricing for their next generation of the Nexus 7 tablet and may even increase it slightly to $229.99. Google wants to make sure they lock up the mid-range segment and avoid competing in the entry-level arean. Here's a quote with the details,

Google's second-generation Nexus 7 tablets are estimated to be available in the retail channel in July with a 16GB version priced at US$229 to avoid competing directly against entry-level tablets, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

As first-tier brand vendors have been trying to expand their sales through price cuts, Google is not looking to follow suit, but will instead focus on defending the US$199-249 segment of the 7-inch tablet market and target competitors such as Amazon and Apple, the sources said.

The sources said that in the second half, Apple's iPad mini will still focus mainly in the high-end segment, second-generation Nexus 7 the mid-range segment (US$200-250), Samsung's tablets both the mid-range and entry-level segments, and Acer and Asustek Computer's models the entry-level segment (below US$159).

What do you guys think? With the rumored higher end specs of the next generation Nexus 7, will it still be a bargain at $230?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
A 7" 16GB tablet without a sdcard slot, a bargain at $230? NO!!!!!!!!!! would be a bargain at $95

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I'm currently in the entry-level segment of the marketplace with my US$159. Acer and the only thing that would motivate me to move into a higher-level segment of that marketplace would be high resolution display specs. But, I certainly don't think the move up should force me to give up my HDMI and SD ports. Hopefully, the so-called 'higher end specs' of the next generation Nexus 7 will address those shortcomings, so that the US$230. pricepoint is based on added value and not inflated ego.

xrko

May 30, 2013
I was waiting for a new Nexus 7, until I came across this Hisense Zero 7 pro. The Nexus will have
to be pretty outstanding for me to switch.

LuvMusic

Dec 12, 2010
The pricing looks fine, if the specs are improved, HD screen, 2gb ram and retaining a 32gb of storage. My experience has shown me that for my use, SD is not critical if I have 32gb of internal storage.

That said, given my "aging eyes," the 10in Sony Z tablet is looking pretty good, though, I do prefer Nexus class devices.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The pricing looks fine, if the specs are improved, HD screen, 2gb ram and retaining a 32gb of storage. My experience has shown me that for my use, SD is not critical if I have 32gb of internal storage.

That said, given my "aging eyes," the 10in Sony Z tablet is looking pretty good, though, I do prefer Nexus class devices.

What you described is the $350 version.
This article is about the $230 version which wont have any of what you mentioned, and it will be 16 not 32.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
With how cheap flash memory is these days, I find it ludicrous the difference in price point difference manufacturers set on double the space these days. There can't really be that much of a price difference for 32GB vs 16GB. Why not have a $250 model with 32GB standard and a $350 model with improved hardware?!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If Google continues with their sticking to the customer plan, they will release 4 versions of the same tablet.
Each version slightly different, $275 version same as $230 version but 2gb ram, $315 version add 32gb space. $350 the works.
Basically same as $150 China tablet release 1 month later.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Any idea of the display resolution and ppi for the entry-level US$229 version?