Nextbook 7" premium OS 2.3 ... is this safe and is there a better way?

jenniferhsrn

Dec 10, 2011
With some digging I found out I am getting a Nextbook for xmas. Unlike the pc tab I bought my daughter this is not GMS approved. I did some research and know I want some google services (like google talk). I suppose I could access them from the web and bypass all this hassel, but would like someone who knows more (what the heck all this slang, brick, root, etc) has to say.

I found this information on the web about how to install Google apps and Android Market. (Apparently you can only soft root the device and not hard root it).

http://gunnersbarn.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/how-to-install-android-market-to-nextbook-premium-7/

H
ere are the specs I found on the nextbook premium 7...

http://www.nextbookusa.com/pdfs/NEXT7P_Spec_Sheet.pdf

CPU Cortex A8 1Ghz, 512 MB RAM, OS Android 2.3 the rest is on the link.

Two questions...
1. If I follow the instructions (using my computer to force an install is what I gather) will this cause operational problems?
2. Will this void any warranty (I guess it will)... and is it worth it?

If I can run the google stuff from the web, do I really need the apps?

And what the heck do widgets do? (sorry dumb question)...

Thanks for any help

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
Jennifer, sorry no one has answered you. Since Nextbook does not have a forum of it's own it is difficult to find post concerning it without using search. I have a Nextbook 7P. Brick means to make the device useless except as a door stop. I have not done Dochoppy"s "root" because my serial number is not correct according to his post. Be sure to check that on yours. If it was purchased at the Hastings in Benton chances are it does not have the correct serial number (I am in central Ar also). It will void the warrenty. Widgets are just small apps that usually do one thing. Example would be a weather widget that sits on the desktop displaying temp, date and time. If you use too many they eat up battery and resources but a few are fine. Having said all that I am not an expert and someone is welcome to correct me. By now you have probably figured all this out.

demkantor

Jan 4, 2012
With some digging I found out I am getting a Nextbook for xmas. Unlike the pc tab I bought my daughter this is not GMS approved. I did some research and know I want some google services (like google talk). I suppose I could access them from the web and bypass all this hassel, but would like someone who knows more (what the heck all this slang, brick, root, etc) has to say.

I found this information on the web about how to install Google apps and Android Market. (Apparently you can only soft root the device and not hard root it).

http://gunnersbarn.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/how-to-install-android-market-to-nextbook-premium-7/

H
ere are the specs I found on the nextbook premium 7...

http://www.nextbookusa.com/pdfs/NEXT7P_Spec_Sheet.pdf

CPU Cortex A8 1Ghz, 512 MB RAM, OS Android 2.3 the rest is on the link.

Two questions...
1. If I follow the instructions (using my computer to force an install is what I gather) will this cause operational problems?
2. Will this void any warranty (I guess it will)... and is it worth it?

If I can run the google stuff from the web, do I really need the apps?

And what the heck do widgets do? (sorry dumb question)...

Thanks for any help

ok so yes you definitely want to do this, you wont hurt your device and the link you sent is good but there are easier ways.

download sdk and install the drivers
if you have troubles with this just search the web, follow instructions on the sdk site, watch youtube videos whatever, if you want to use android and get everything possible out of your device (phone tablet) you NEED this
once this is done go ahead and download the gapps from the link you posted above (also sdk is in that link but go straight to googles site for that)
with the folder containing the gapps on your computer connect your device (in this case nextbook 7)
make sure you have debugging on (setting, applications, check the box) also in applications check unknown sources ok box.
you will see in the notification bar that you are connected as well as debugging. click on usb transfer.
on your computer you should see two drives pop up, one for your nextbook and one for your sd card.
put the folder on your sd card
unmount everything (both your card and your tablet)
on the tablet go to your folder manager and bring up your sd card, click on system, app, then go down the list installing all the ones mentioned in the link you provided above
(also you can install some of the others not mentioned - maps, gmail, etc.)
on each one you click hit install, then press done
when all are in that you want press the home button and then apps and...
awesome you have it all!
open market, sign in, except terms, and start downloading apps!
oh and remember to install a new launcher, the one that comes with the nextbook is lame (try zeam is nice)
any questions?
well i dont go to this site much (almost never) but you can find me on xda developers
same log in name
im always in the htc g1 section

thanks!