No 3G in My Table?

Dr.dray

Oct 26, 2012
I recently brought a Taiwanese tab (MyTab) while I was traveling in Malaysia. Problem is it's 3G is not working. I can browse the web by inserting the SIM card, but only GPRS speeds. When I do a network search, it doesn't show the real network names available in my area, instead shows some numbers. But I can make phone calls.

Can the 3G modem be locked?? What should I do to get 3G? Please help me as without 3G it's almost become useless for me.

Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

You didn't say where you are now, but the problem would appear to be whatever provider you are using for the SIM card. The fact that it's working is actually a big deal. Whoever you contracted the SIM card with is who you need to talk to.

Dr.dray

Oct 26, 2012
Welcome to the forum

You didn't say where you are now, but the problem would appear to be whatever provider you are using for the SIM card. The fact that it's working is actually a big deal. Whoever you contracted the SIM card with is who you need to talk to.

Hi, I'm in Sri Lanka. I don't think it's a issue with the provider as I can connect to internet but only with GPRS speeds (yes I have created profiles). Also I have checked with several SIMs and none of them doesn't give me 3G.

Also one thing is 'Use only 2G networks' is always checked no matter I uncheck it. Can the 3G modem be locked? Is that valid?

How do I solve it?

Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The provider controls what the SIM is capable of doing along with your location. So if the SIM provider can't help and 3G is not available where you are then you may be stuck. Yes, it's possible the SIM was only a 2G GPRS SIM.

Dr.dray

Oct 26, 2012
Hi, I don't think it's problem with the provider as I can get 3G with the same SIM, same location with my phone. So it has to something, somewhere in my tab right?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hi, I don't think it's problem with the provider as I can get 3G with the same SIM, same location with my phone. So it has to something, somewhere in my tab right?

OK, new information is always helpful;) Yes I would say it must be the tablet since you ruled out everything else.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
:) So how do I get it working? unrooting?

I don't have an answer for why it's doing that other than it may be the communications chip in the tablet and I don't think anything could/would be gained by rooting. Or un rooting as the case may be. It would seem to be a hardware issue.

Dr.dray

Oct 26, 2012
Ohh what a bad luck! :S
Please get back to me if you hear something like this and found a solution. I appreciate your cooperation. Thanks!