No Bluetooth?!?

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
So, I finally got myself a Galaxy Tab. I bought the T-Mobile one (it was the cheapest with my work discount, I ended up getting the month-by-month, instead of the 2 year contract). I also bought a bluetooth headset for Skype/Google Phone. Then, I get home, charge both of them up, go to set everything up, and...the bluetooth selection under Settings is greyed out! Anyone know what's up with this? I did alot of research on these things, and the only one I saw anything about bluetooth on was the Verizon, who doesn't allow hooking up to keyboards, etc.

Right here, on Samsung's website (under connectivity) in the listing for the T-Mobile version, it says it has Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity. What am I missing, can anyone help?

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
I've tried that, it doesn't work. I did figure it out about an hour ago, though. It's because I don't have a plan, and don't want to use 3g, just WiFi, so I put it in airplane mode. This turned off BT, as well. Now, I have it turned on (and turned off data packets over cellular, instead), but I can't get my headset to register on the Galaxy, so I can't pair them...

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Put your headset in pairing mode and press scan in the bluetooth configuration settings menu and see if that helps. You'll probably need to input a pairing code on the tab as prompted by the BT settings app once it discovers the headset. And yes...Airplane mode disables BT and unlike WiFi when in airplane mode you can't selectively turn on BT. Good luck.

AllWrong

Feb 23, 2011
I am doing exactly that, and it doesn't read the headset at all. What's really screwed up is it's a Samsung headset. One would think if there were any bias, it would be TOWARDS that headset. Anyway, just to be clear I put the headset into pairing mode, tell the Galaxy to scan, and it doesn't see it at all. No clue what to do from here...

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Cycle the BT radio on and off and see if that helps. If you still are having a problem (you shouldn't have to do this normally) but try putting the Tab into discovery mode (also in the BT settings menu) at the same time (it will typically stay in discovery mode for about 2 minutes and then time out so that should be plenty of time to pair) and see if that helps. I have a Sprint model, so the menus might be slightly different (though I don't think so in this case). Also, for what its worth, supposedly the T-Mobile and AT&T (GSM carriers) models of the Galaxy Tab have the most unencumbered BT functionality while Sprint and Verizon messed with the BT stack such that certain BT devices such as BT keyboards and mice are not functional - so you should be good to go in that regard (i.e., with T-mob you shouldn't have any crippled BT functionality). In any event, regardless of what carrier model Tab you have, BT headsets should work just fine. If you can borrow another BT headset, you could see if you are still having trouble pairing or if its just an isolated case of headset incompatibility. As a latch ditch effort, you could reboot the unit (simply power down/power on - I'm not talking factory reset here) to see if that helps. If you are still having trouble after all the above, you might have a defective BT radio and should consider returning the unit. Again, best of luck.

Last edited:

Rack1600

Mar 2, 2011
BT headset by default will only become discoverable automatically until they connect with their first device. Then if you want to make them discoverable again, to pair to a second device, you have to hold down the main On button for 5 seconds when you turn it on - then the two LED's (most have 2 LEDs) should flash alternately.

The fact that it is Samsung and Samsung is generally irrelevant. :) The headset code is generally written by the people providing the bluetooth chip in the headset, and the bluetooth on the Tab will be from Android/Choose Another BT Chip Supplier. And I highly doubt, like most big companies, that Samsung test very well between different departments :) good luck.

What model Headset is it btw?