No Custom User Interfaces for Android 3.0 Allowed for Now, Google Tells Manufacturers

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
iVglKl.jpg

Google is disallowing OEM customizations of the Android 3.0 Honeycomb interface. Efforts such as Samsung's new Touchwiz UX for Honeycomb will have to be put on hold for now. Major manufacturers historically have included customized skins or interfaces on top of the stock Android operating system for the majority of their handsets. This does help reduce Android fragmentation.

Source
Androidheadlines via reddit
Pictured Samsung Touchhwiz UX for Honeycomb from Engadget

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
While I will be happy as a consumer about this, I don't like this trend of "restrictions on open source" as a developer. It's not very open. However, the flip side is that, as a developer, I think that this adds further "evidence" (or rather logic behind speculations) that these restrictions really are based on shoddy code that they don't want poluting other code stores. If that turns out to be true, then as much as we hate it, it really is the right decision for Google to make. Whether or not creating the shoddy code was the right decision can be debated all you want, but given that there is shoddy code, then delaying HC AOSP and this restriction are the right decisions to make. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

kicker10bog

Mar 25, 2011
Google's not really making it less open. They just want tablets to be sold with their stock OS. Devs

Sent from my DROID 2 using the AndroidTablets.net app

kicker10bog

Mar 25, 2011
Google's not really making it less open. They just want tablets to be sold with their stock OS. Devs

Oops. Hit submit too early.

Devs can still make custom ROMs and skins. Hut now they'll just all be completely based off of the stock Android.

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
I believe you need standards to make things work, especially something thats global and for most people, easy to get in to.
And I am sure its possible to root most tablets and install your own custom themes and such, so for hardcore users this isnt an issue.