No-Name MID Android 2.2 Froyo Tablet Wont Turn On

harrowfeild

Dec 17, 2011
I got this tablet from my girlfriends mom, I have no idea where she got it. It has no name, no writing on it at all. After a bit of research I surmised it was a Chinese generic "MID" tab, so I did a quick ebay search for "red android tablet MID" and clicked the picture that looked like it:

New MID Google Android 2.2 OS 8

Thats as best as I can do as far as identification goes. Now, for the real issue: The bugger won't turn on!

When I got it it would power up, but it would "freeze" at the Android boot screen, where the android 'robot' stands there and in the lower right-hand corner "android 2.2 kernel 2.6.32 build number v1.5.3" is displayed. It would sit like that forever until you hit the power button and it would turn off. I tried every button combo I could think, Vol down + power, menu + power, etc... to try to get it into an uploader screen or something with no luck. Did some research on frozen tabs and found I could force an update by putting an SD card in with the ROM I want. So I found something in another forum, now I don't remember what it was but it claimed to "fix" bricked or frozen tabs by loading an older ROM. When I put the SD card into the tab it did in fact start the loading process, which was reassuring to say the least. It completed the process and said "REMOVE INSTALL MEDIA", and when I did the tablet turned off by itself, and from there I've got nothing. Tried every button combo I could think again, nothing. Screen is completely black.

So my question I suppose is there any saving this tablet? There didn't' seem to be any real access points on the tab, no visible screws or panels. I'm fairly tech savvy but I'm new to the android scene, any help is much appreciated.

EDIT to add:

Further investigation reveals it is a "
WM8650". Also wanted to note, when I push the power button I get the green LED, and when its plugged in I get the red LED, but no activity on the screen whatsoever. No noise or vibration at all either.

Last edited:

Mr.Tablet

Dec 19, 2011
If you want to make it how it was when you first go it you'll need to find the 'Stock ROM' that came with it. It sounds to me that it has been bricked (maybe at the factory). You can't just install any old ROM.

I would probably just take it back if you can't flash a ROM. To be able to flash a ROM you will need to install ClockworkMod recovery.

forcix

Dec 30, 2011
I had the same problem and it means that your Android OS is corrupted but no problem, just reinstall your OS from the microSD card. If you do not have backup of the OS on microSD then go to OBEROID site and load a proper tablet board OS version on the microSD from OBEROID site with a PC card reader. Put the microSD card to the device and turn power on. If you have chosen a correct version (screen size correct etc.) on your microSD card your tablet starts to copy and install a new version of the Android (Called Oberoid). Watch the screen, when it says "remove the microSD card", turn of your tablet and remove the installation microSD card and replace it with an empty one or your old used microSD card.

If everything, mainly touch screen, works and the basic applications are in place you can start the new phase. Note! Then these OBEROID systems have a flaw, WLAN does not work at all. The next step is to replace, with the rootfile manager (all OBREROID OS are rooted so you can operate in the OS root directory), file called RT3070.rto with one found in the Ubuntu development area, just search it with Google. Copy it to a microSD disk and copy it to the location of the old RT3070.rt it can be found under root/lib directory (rename the old one what ever you desire) and copy paste the new RT3070.rto file to the same location. Then turn of you tablet, remove (or you can also leave the microSD card in place !Note not the card that contains the the new OS replacement.) Then turn on your tablet and your operational again.

I hunted these instructions for three days and they work. Playing music with my new OBEROID system. This replacement also repairs the Calender bug that prevented the sync of Gmail mail/calender with the Google calender server.

forcix

Dec 30, 2011
I had the same problem and it means that your Android OS is corrupted but no problem, just reinstall your OS from the microSD card. If you do not have backup of the OS on microSD then go to OBEROID site and load a proper tablet board OS version on the microSD from OBEROID site with a PC card reader. Put the microSD card to the device and turn power on. If you have chosen a correct version (screen size correct etc.) on your microSD card your tablet starts to copy and install a new version of the Android (Called Oberoid). Watch the screen, when it says "remove the microSD card", turn of your tablet and remove the installation microSD card and replace it with an empty one or your old used microSD card.

If everything, mainly touch screen, works and the basic applications are in place you can start the new phase. Note! Then these OBEROID systems have a flaw, WLAN does not work at all. The next step is to replace, with the rootfile manager (all OBREROID OS are rooted so you can operate in the OS root directory), file called RT3070.rto with one found in the Ubuntu development area, just search it with Google. Copy it to a microSD disk and copy it to the location of the old RT3070.rt it can be found under root/lib directory (rename the old one what ever you desire) and copy paste the new RT3070.rto file to the same location. Then turn of you tablet, remove (or you can also leave the microSD card in place !Note not the card that contains the the new OS replacement.) Then turn on your tablet and your operational again.

I hunted these instructions for three days and they work. Playing music with my new OBEROID system. This replacement also repairs the Calender bug that prevented the sync of Gmail mail/calender with the Google calender server.

If your tablet is totally dead recharge the battery, it goes dead if its not fully charged when you do the OS replacement (burning the ROM). If it installed your OS the board is working ok!

harrowfeild

Dec 17, 2011

I downloaded the proper UBERIOD OS, put it on my SD card and put it into the fully charged Tablet, hit the power button.... and nothing. Still no activity on the screen at all, just completely black, but the LED is green so I know the unit is on. I thought I'd let it sit with the SD card in just in case it would load the OS anyway, and then after about 30 minutes of letting it sit there I removed SD card and tried to cycle the power.... still nothing.

Not sure if there's any hope for this tab anymore. =[

ceribdiscree

Feb 26, 2012
was it still on the charger when you tried to load the new os i had an issue with that on my umpc its just an suggestion and a question sorry if its no help :)

ceribdiscree

Feb 26, 2012
was it still on the charger when you tried to load the new os i had an issue with that on my umpc its just an suggestion and a question sorry if its no help :)

and just another thing have you opened it maby the screen ribbon has slipped do to some one dropping it

Phaust

Feb 26, 2012
wow, oberoid sounds like the answer to everything, do you think that it will allow me to upgrade me android 2.2 to 2.3

sand

Feb 26, 2012
Hi all, i'm new here.trying to find a solution for my MID brandless 7" tablet.at the beginning,it would run but after i did not use it for about a week or so,it stuck at the android robot scrren and couldn't boot.displayed : android 2.2 kernel 2.6.32 build number v1.5.3 at the bottom right corner.so i tried charging it and power on again....still the same.end up i threw it aSIDE FOR ANOTHER 1 WEEK AND TRIED THE SAME STEPS AGAIN.(blue led light was visible at this time )
this time round,the screen was totally black,no robot too.and i realised that the led light was remain at red ( no more sign of blue led light)and it cannot be power on at all without charging it to the wall socket.
so, could it be the battery went dead or this thing is totally dead. can someone advise me please.
i tried open up the back to see if something might have went loose or what but everything seems intact :(
so desperate to save this thing !

Last edited:

jacinto60

Nov 28, 2011
hi tried this page i think this is mfg Android Tablet PC's | Tablet PC | Android Tablet | Handhel Tablet PC - FAQ#

takyoko34

Jun 19, 2012
I don't think it is appropriate to ask that here. It's like asking Burger King where the nearest McDonald's is. haha. What is so special about oberoid anyway?

Sexymamalea

Aug 3, 2012
I am having same problem!~Lights up blue bu nothing but a black screen, powers off with red light. I was looking for a way to reset myEpad tablet manually somehow? I have been looking in forums and websites and I already tried holding down start and home button(i held it for like 5 min once) it just shuts off. Then I also tried tapping both, then switching between tapping home and power but still nothing, so whats up? I have been searching everywhere online fora video or a website for my operating system to put on SD card, but I cant seem to find the manufacturer? I found an very close match on Amazon.com which says it is a Epad 10" touchscreen display with Android 2.1 Froyo operating system. I bought this tablet on Ebay for my son Xmas 2010 and it hasnt worked for awhile now. It has just been sitting in a drawer collecting dust so I did end up buying a Kryos 8" Coby Tablet for him instead and so far so good. I would like to fix the Epad so I can have it for myself. Oh and my tablet doesnt have a on/off switch that I can toggle, it is just a rubber bump of a button I don't know the actual name of it so don't give me any **** please! So anyone up for a challenge? please let me know if it is able to be restored or not?:confused: TYVM
This is same exact box my tablet came in below~Maybe somebody knows who makes it?
The ePad is a 10 inches tablet available for purchase from Amazon and it’s among the top best 10 inches tablet available at price below $ 200. ePad tablet includes 10 inches resistive touchscreen display with Android 2.2 Froyo operating system running on it. There is no description available for the processor but one thing I can tell about this is that it includes camera, internet connectivity through Wi-Fi, supports Adobe Flash 10.1, HDMI output port, micro SD card slot, mini USB port, USB port and 3.5 mm headset audio jack.

The battery is made up of Lithium ion and has 3 hours of battery life. It includes front camera with 1.3 mega pixel camera with 4 GB internal memory. ePad 10 is available at a price of $ 169.

mabrock

Apr 8, 2012
I have a 7" mw8650 froyer 2.3 and when it went dead the first time I cannot get it to come back on. I plug the charger in and the red light won't even come on. Could it be a bad charger or why wouldn't the red light at least come on? I bought it used and I am not positive that it is the correct charger. It shows a 5v charger but I have another tablet which is a google mw8650 2.2 and it has a 9v charger. Any help here?

Last edited: