No response at lock screen and will not hard reset or turn off.

sakran

Jan 17, 2012
My mothers a500 is stuck on the lock screen and will not respond to touch commands. Also if I try to hold the power button it just restarts and goes back to the lock screen. If I hold the power button and the volume up button it sais clearing cache and something about opening the unzip.zip from the sd card. Iv'e also tried the reset button and it just boots back to the lock screen too. I have a micro SD card and I'm wondering if I can reinstall the OS from that and get this thing working again. I'm not worried about losing any data I just want to get this working again for my mother. I have no experience with tablets but if someone can just walk me though step by step with the download links of what I need on the SD card I would appreciate it very much.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Apparently no one else has ever seen this happen.

It sounds like your digitizer (the thing that senses the touch) has gone belly up.
If so, this is unlikely to be fixed with software.

If I were you I would not side load anything and void your warranty. Just call acer and get
a warranty repair.

sakran

Jan 17, 2012
Its not the touch sensor its a software problem. My younger sister turned it off during an update and it bricked. Iv'e tried other solutions with update.zip files and it seems like everything is going fine until it reboots and i get the message "boot verified failed". This is very frustrating I have never had a problem like this I couldn't fix and this one if driving me nuts.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I just found that out after I asked my mother who used it last. Do you have any advice or is this thing shot.

Have you tried to hold the power button in for say 15 seconds?

The tablet does have a recovery mode. I think you'll need to get the recovery files from ACER SUPPORT, download them. Put them on the ext SD card and force recovery mode on the power button and /or the reset (next to the USB PORT).