No WiFi on Refurbished VTAB1008

raddatzjos

Jun 15, 2012
I bought my VTAB1008 from Newegg on a refurbished sale and it's given me issues since I took it out of the package. It froze while completing the initial setup (I had to force shut down the device and restart it), it only connected to my router once, and now it refuses to show any Wifi APs at all.

At first I just rebooted the device and I got a Wifi connection. I was instantly notified that there was an update for the software. I accepted and it updated me to V.I.A. Plus 1.4 within a couple minutes. After rebooting, I had no connection. Turn off the wireless, turn it back on, reboot, repeat. Finally it just said "Error" under Wireless Network in the Wireless & Networks control pane. This is where I called Vizio's tech support and they walked me through a factory reset (reboot the device while holding Volume up and Volume down to get into the debug menu). Now I can turn WiFi on and off, but it won't show any APs. I should see around 10 (my neighbor's plus my own) like I do on my Android phone, my mother's iPhone, or any of our laptops. It just says "Scanning..." Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it without sending in my tablet?

Vizio at first thought it was a problem with my wireless network, saying my WEP security wasn't supported by their tablets. I find that to be a load of garbage because if I manually enter my network credentials, I'm given WEP as an option and it worked briefly before. I know it's the tablet because it won't show any AP in the area and every other device can connect just fine.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
You said you had a connection before the update so it is obviously compatible with your system.
If you can still get a refund on the device you should probably do so. If not send it in for a warranty fix or replacement.
I never had this issue when I had my Vizio and my brother has it now and he has never had the problem either .
It does sound like a software problem what ever it is.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't know if that sounds like a software problem for sure. It sounds like it could be a hardware issue where maybe there was a loose connection or something, that was intermittent before failing. Hard to say. You might be able to side load the Wifi Analyzer apk (download the apk and move it to the Vizio via usb or SD and install). If this app is able to detect the various wifi networks then it would probably be a wifi issue within Android. If it doesn't get a signal maybe the cpu isn't receiving the signals from the wifi chip which could be a hardware issue.

Dec 3, 2012
I bought my VTAB1008 from Newegg on a refurbished sale and it's given me issues since I took it out of the package. It froze while completing the initial setup (I had to force shut down the device and restart it), it only connected to my router once, and now it refuses to show any Wifi APs at all.
[snip]
Vizio at first thought it was a problem with my wireless network, saying my WEP security wasn't supported by their tablets. I find that to be a load of garbage because if I manually enter my network credentials, I'm given WEP as an option and it worked briefly before. I know it's the tablet because it won't show any AP in the area and every other device can connect just fine.
My summary review of the VTAB1008 tablet from Vizio is that is has significant wireless connectivity issues - it's both inconsistent and undependable.

The VTAB1008 was on-sale for 179 USD at Costco in October 2011. Sam's Club had it for 19 dollars more than Costco, at that time. Unfortunately, I waited too long to decide and ended up purchasing this product on Amazon from DuoDuo Tech for 232 USD (fifty more than Costco).

In September 2012, the charging port broke. That was the only known issue with the tablet. When I called Vizio (US-based, English-speaking) support, they immediately knew of the issue and confessed to it being a design issue and offered me a replacement tablet without hesitation. I gladly accepted but have come to regret that decision. The replacement "reconditioned" (aka Refurbished) RMA tablet arrived and would NOT fully connect to the exact same wireless router that the original tablet connected to for twelve straight months without issue. It would show as "Connected" ("Wi-fi - myWirelessSSID" with full bars) but every internet-based service (email, youtube, etc) reported an error "There's no network connection right now. Try again later." I immediately contacted Vizio support who, during the one hour call, attempted to disprove my standpoint that the replacement unit was not the issue. I humored them for a bit and then demanded that another replacement be sent. They reluctantly obliged.

The now 2nd replacement RMA tablet arrives and exhibites the same behavior; it shows "connected" but is unable to consistently access anything on the internet.

Additionally, the tablet has a setting to define if and when to drop the connection (Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi Settings > Wi-Fi Disconnect Policy) which I have set to "Never". Despite that setting, while monitoring my router's Attached Devices info, the VTAB1008 drops the connection a few moments after the screen is locked; either manually or timed screen dim. The moment I touch the power button to undim the screen, the connection to the router is reestablished. Clearly, the tablet is malfunctioning since, as mentioned above, internet-accessing apps fail despite the tablet showing as "connected".
I have a few other devices that connect to my Wi-Fi Router and am 100% certain it's functioning without issue. Moreover, I attempted to connect the replacement Vizio VTAB1008 tablet to my smartphone's hotspot, as well as family's wi-fi, a neighbor's wi-fi, and a public wi-fi - all resulting in the same exact behavior. My router's security is configured as WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and has the latest firmware installed.

I am extremely frustrated and have contacted Visa "911" Enhancement Services who have opened a claim to fully reimburse me for the original purchase price of two-hundred-thirty-two US dollars. I would highly NOT recommend purchasing the Vizio VTAB1008 tablet, regardless of price. Between the inherent and known flaw with the charging port, as well as the seemingly commonplace issues with refurbs (or, as they call it, "Reconditioned").

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Even though you are 100% sure there is no issue with the wireless router download and install the latest firmware and also power cycle the device (unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in).

JP

Dec 3, 2012
Good suggestion but already checked that I have the latest firmware installed on my router. As I mentioned, the router works flawlessly, for all other wireless devices in my home network ... and the original Vtab1008 connected without issue as well. It seems to be an issue with their refurbished (aka reconditioned) units, even though that seems bizarre.

maxxg

Oct 5, 2012
First I'd like to say that the firmware update for VIZIO takes times and you must not panic, and shut down before finished, ( the time may depend on you connect, the connect setup should be done as soon as you boot the unit the first time, so it can do these updates. ( just speaking in general terms, not directed at anyone one issue)! Now the VIZIO is not the the fasted or best unit out, but is certainly not bad for the prices I've paid, and does want I want and I just last week got my un it replace that had an issue worth the charging port!

If you have Issues, on a refurbish unit from Newegg, contact them right off and arrange for support!, don't wait over 10 days, if not contact VIZIO and they will be glad to discuss any possible rectification to the problem , it is warranty related! I as well as many others have had great success with this process.
And note some units will not even turn on until the battery is charged, so hang in there before you jump.

If I'm not mistaken there is also an option to reset the unit to factory default settings>> in the applications> ( privacy ) "Factory data reset"

For Wifi Settings > Wireless # Networks "WiFi"

regards,
maxx