Non B&N Books

frodo

Feb 5, 2011
Hi,
New to Nook & Android but have succesfully rooted with AN 3.0 and very happy with the results.

I am interested to know if there is a way to trick the nook into treating a side loaded epub book into behaving like one bought from B&N - ie show up as a shortcut on the bootom of the stock home screen with cover? I thought i'd read somewhere here that this is possible, but can't find the thread again.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I don't think you can trick the nook reader app into reading a non-b&N book...but there are a variety of epub readers on the market that in my opinion are better than the nook app...cool reader and fbreader are a couple. I use cool reader every day, but I also have the kindle and nook app installed as well for any books I purchase from them.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I read everyday with Aldiko reader, and I think its light years ahead of the Nook reader and I believe it reads epub files.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I still prefer and recommend FBReader as my every day reading app. Mainly for it's simple use, and sister app FBSync that lets me sync my bookmarks across multiple Android devices.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
What exactly you meant by non B&N books ? Books not purchased from B&N ?

anyways I use calibre to convert to epub and I navigate to books location from "My Files" in B&N reader. Till today I haven't faced any issues.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yes avi,

Books purchased from some other vendor, free books from books.google.com or gutenberg project...or 'other' methods ;)

Yes you can read epubs in the nook reader app, but the question was getting those books to show up on the default home screen, and that is a no...B&N reserved that for their books only.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Oh, I get it.

and all my books are from non b&n only ;)

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
Yes avi,

Books purchased from some other vendor, free books from books.google.com or gutenberg project...or 'other' methods ;)

Yes you can read epubs in the nook reader app, but the question was getting those books to show up on the default home screen, and that is a no...B&N reserved that for their books only.

This is correct. I have several gutenberg books that show up in my BN library. I am running side loaded 1.1.0

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
How do you get aldiko to read books you purchased from b&n?

You either crack the DRM protection (I haven't even tried) or you don't use aldiko to read B&N books. Its the DRM that keeps aldiko from opening those books.