Non Gmail Email Troubles

mulegal

Nov 14, 2011
New Vizio 8" tablet. I've tried to set up my existing ATT/Yahoo email account. I can recieve email on this addy but not send. Screen says connection error after I try to send mail. I've setup the outgoing specs: smtp.att.yahoo.com, port 465, and SSL connections as per ATT but still can't send mail from this accout . Gmail works fine. Any ideas?
Thanks

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Try port 587, as well. Also, if there are multiple options for secure email sending, try each of them, on each port.

Different mail servers and clients sometimes require different combinations.

Jim

mulegal

Nov 14, 2011
No luck yet. How many ports are there? The Vizio gives me 5 options for security settings but the port window is open to whatever I enter in there. Thanks again

Try port 587, as well. Also, if there are multiple options for secure email sending, try each of them, on each port.

Different mail servers and clients sometimes require different combinations.

Jim

mulegal

Nov 14, 2011
Yes that might be the way I have to go. I was hoping to avoid the extra steps of logging into yahoo and going to email.

I see you are from Milford, CT. I lived in Milford in the 80's..small world.

I can send and receive my AT&T/Yahoo email by logging in to my AT&T/Yahoo home page and going to mail. Am I missing something here?

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
No luck yet. How many ports are there?
For email there are three (3): SMTP (25), SMTPS (465) and submission (587). SMTP (25) is only supposed to be used for server<->server email traffic. SMTPS (465) is SMTP secured and is most often used by clients, such as yourself. It is deprecated in favour of submission (587).

SMTP (25) these days will usually be unencrypted and not allow login/authentication, but there are some hangers-on still misusing it. SMTPS (465) will usually be SSL-only, and usually plain auth/login. Submission (587) will usually be TLS (negotiated, but with encryption enforced), and may negotiate the login/auth type.

(And all of that is probably far more than you ever wanted to know ;).)

Jim

mulegal

Nov 14, 2011
Well thanks everyone. And SEMI Jim, Big thanks for the info.

Seems when I first tried to set att addy up, I unchecked the "Require sign-in" box. Just now I 'checked' box again and added username and password and all systems seem good to go now. Sorry to take up time on a simple set-up user error, I sure appreciate all the help.