Non-gmail Google Account won't sync with Samsung Galaxy 5 Player

greenman

Nov 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Player
Google Voice

I am unable to get my non-gmail Google Account to sync with this machine with the google app market. It would not accept an old gmail account that I already have. To get the app market working at all, I had to create a whole new gmail account I really didn't want or need.

I've tried using the Google "Account Authenticator" App. Everything seems to work. I follow the directions here:
Installing Google Authenticator - Accounts Help
and here:
Google Authenticator - Google Apps Help
and the app finally ends up saving the 'secret key'.

As a side note, I have to say the directions for creating two-step authentication really need a better explanation - maybe even a decent video. It took me a while to figure it out, and I'm pretty tech savvy.

When I attempt to login thereafter with Google Voice app using my non-gmail account, I get this:
Sorry..
Your username and password do not match. Please try again.

(To recover your account information, go to http://google.com/accounts on your computer.)

I went as far as typing my password into the username field, cutting it, and pasting it into the password field to be sure it was properly spelled. Even that doesn't seem to make a difference. I can log in fine on my computer. I can even log in from firefox on the android, but not the default browser. It tells me to install the voice app instead. But the voice app won't recognize my email address and valid password.

I have a suite of services in the same non-gmail google account, including having paid $20 to transfer my home phone number to google voice. I feel like I'm being penalized because I am not using a gmail account to attempt to log in to the android phone.

Surely I've done everything correctly, as suggested in the links.

I would be grateful for any suggestions that might allow me to actually get my non-gmail google account up and running on my android device.

greenman

Nov 30, 2010
Okay, I actually think I figured this out. The default website was not google on the default web browser. I set google as the home page and logged in as myself on it. (Not Dolphin.) Then, when I went back to menu --> settings --> Accounts and sync, I added the account and it brought up something suggesting that I could use the web browser to add my account. I used the verify link and suddenly my email account can access the google voice app. Go figure!

So apparently the key is that the home page must be google.com, and you must be signed in on the native default browser. Weird, but it works.

Last edited: