Noob in need of help

miked71

Aug 18, 2011
hi guys,

Only had my tab a couple of weeks,

my question to you good people is,
when reading emails on my aol account, i need to open zip file attachments from a trusted source, but keep getting malicious spyware message saying can't save or open.

Is there anyway around this as i need to open these attachments

any info gratefully received :)

Mike

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hey Mike,

Did you find a solution to this?

I'm not sure what advice to give, but if it were me I would first try to forward the message from AOL to your Google Account, and try it through there?

Otherwise, you could install "Dropbox" on a PC and on your Tab, and unzip on your PC and use Dropbox as a shared folder... the Dropbox solution has helped me tons for various reasons.

miked71

Aug 18, 2011
Hey Mike,

Did you find a solution to this?

I'm not sure what advice to give, but if it were me I would first try to forward the message from AOL to your Google Account, and try it through there?

Otherwise, you could install "Dropbox" on a PC and on your Tab, and unzip on your PC and use Dropbox as a shared folder... the Dropbox solution has helped me tons for various reasons.

Hi Dan
Thanks for the reply

Not got anything sorted yet,
going on holiday next week so will be away from my pc and need to open these zip files, on my Tab, while we are away.
Will give the Google account route a go to see if this works.

Thanks for the heads up

Mike

miked71

Aug 18, 2011
Just spoke to Acer tech guys, they said that Android will not let you open zip files of any sort trusted or not, including unzipped files.
Files have to sent as xls files to be opened.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.
Mike

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just spoke to Acer tech guys, they said that Android will not let you open zip files of any sort trusted or not

They lied. (Unfortunately this is becoming common with Acer Support.)

Go to the market.
Download ES File Explorer
Install. This will open any zip file you have on your Tablet, and optionally extract it to any directory you choose (long press).

Sometimes you have to fight with the web browser to get it to save attachments, (if you read your email in a browser). Try Dolphin for Pad from the market. Works fine. Opera works better for this (also free). Stock Browser seems to want to save Zip files under strange names (especially if you use Gmail).

Gmail app won't save zip files.
K-9 mail (free in market) will save them just fine.