Noobie Problem with Asus Slider

Scraps

Feb 20, 2012
Hi all,

I have had an Asus Slider since late December and overall I love it. However, I am having a problem with the tablet quitting/force closing on websites. Usually it's when I am on a message board (such as this one) and with no warning, the screen goes dark for a few seconds, then I am at my "home page" with all my icons, etc...but the wallpaper is not showing and the whole background is black. This tablet is still running Android 3 to my knowledge. Has anyone heard of this happening, and what it could be? Is it Honeycomb, my tablet, or user error? Thanks so much for any thoughts about this.

Lisa

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Lisa, I'm moving your thread to the Asus Tablets section for you, where more people with Asus Sliders are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Lisa,

What is your firmware build number? Go to Settings - About - Build Number. It should be something like 8.6.5.21 or similar.

Also, which app are you using when it force closes? I know the stock browser in Honeycomb is buggier than an August Night in the Louisiana bayous.

Check out some other browsers like Dolphin HD, Opera Mobile, Maxathon and Boat Browser.

Scraps

Feb 20, 2012
Frederuco said:
Lisa,

What is your firmware build number? Go to Settings - About - Build Number. It should be something like 8.6.5.21 or similar.

Also, which app are you using when it force closes? I know the stock browser in Honeycomb is buggier than an August Night in the Louisiana bayous.

Check out some other browsers like Dolphin HD, Opera Mobile, Maxathon and Boat Browser.

The build number says it is 8.6.5.21 20111216. I have been using the Asus browser most of the time, not sure if that is the stock one or not. I will try one of the other browsers. Thanks for your help....and does anyone know when the Slider will get ICS? I had heard Feb. and here it is March and still no ICS.........

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The build number says it is 8.6.5.21 20111216. I have been using the Asus browser most of the time, not sure if that is the stock one or not. I will try one of the other browsers. Thanks for your help....and does anyone know when the Slider will get ICS? I had heard Feb. and here it is March and still no ICS.........

There was an issue with some units and the Tegra 2 driver for the TF101. Because of that, the Belgium TF101's and the TF101G (3G version) have not yet received ICS and the TF101 OTA updates have been pulled.

You can install the TF101 ICS firmware and it will work, but I would wait for the OTA update. The TF101 should get it's fixed firmware sometime in the next week and I would think the Slider should be real soon after.

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
Lisa how do u like your slider i think they are pretty cool and iam shocked they never caught on like other tablets.
i might get one

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Lisa how do u like your slider i think they are pretty cool and iam shocked they never caught on like other tablets.
i might get one

I think they are cool too, but my 2 biggest drawbacks (other than it was released about 4 months after I got a TF101) is that it has a shorter battery life (~6 hours vs ~9 hours with just the TF101 tablet) and that the screen only sits at 1 angle. I have the TF101 dock too, so I can rock out about 15-16 usable hours between charges. I have used it for 16 hours in one day before for work.

Some users who have the slider LOVE them. I am just thinking it is not for me, but your opinion may be different. (Just like the iPad would drive me nuts vs the open ness of Android)

relic74

Mar 18, 2012
Actually I get about 8 hours on my Asus Slider, the trick is screen brightness. Don't use auto but put the slider's brightness at 25%. The Slider is one of the nicest laptops slash tablets I have ever owned, the build quality, ease of of use, the looks and the speed is even great. I will however replace it when the new Asus Infinity is release. I might keep the Slider as a multimedia station for my TV. The DLNA option just works so well on it. Asus just makes great tablets don't they.

I Still can't get over the fact that the Apple iPad is selling so well. I would rather have a Asus Slider any day. Apple users will swear up and down that the iPad is gods gift to man and that Android tablets suck. Well have you ever tried transfering data from your computer to the iPad. Biggest pain in the ass, iPad has gone to great lengths to stop their users from using any other content except their own. Apples codec support is a joke you have to buy an app for pretty much every codec that you want to play. They don't have a file manager to maintain it's files, you have to connect your tablet to a computer and use iTunes if you want to simply add a folder. Sure the iPad is a nice looking tablet but it's OS is locked up tighter then a dolphins ass. There is no customization available just wallpaper, I can't understand why people are buying these things in droves. It's disgusting how much people are just drones. Yes there are many cool apps for it, I wish I had access to some of those great music creation apps but if it means using a crippled OS then I can survive without them.