Nook Android App not saving content locally?

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
I have CM7 running on my NookColor and have installed the Nook Android App. It downloaded my BN content when I had the WiFi running, but when I have the WiFi off, it shows none of it downloaded and I can't read it. Is this normal? Do I not have something set correctly?

My husband has the Nook iPad App and says it doesn't work this way.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have CM7 running on my NookColor and have installed the Nook Android App. It downloaded my BN content when I had the WiFi running, but when I have the WiFi off, it shows none of it downloaded and I can't read it. Is this normal? Do I not have something set correctly?

My husband has the Nook iPad App and says it doesn't work this way.

With wifi you have to make sure you touch it and actually download it otherwise it shows as available but not downloaded. Once dowloaded you don't need a wifi connection. Just make sure you have actually downloaded the content not that you are just looking at what you could download from your B&N account.

JP

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
With wifi you have to make sure you touch it and actually download it otherwise it shows as available but not downloaded. Once dowloaded you don't need a wifi connection. Just make sure you have actually downloaded the content not that you are just looking at what you could download from your B&N account.

JP

Thanks for the reply.

Yup: I downloaded things last night before the WiFi was turned off: got notifications things were downloaded, even. Then I got a logout screen and the screen said that all the downloaded content would disappear if I logged out.

Now I just get error messages when I try to download in the Nook app: "Connection problem while trying to synchronize. Try again later." Or "Cannot download. Please contact Customer Service at . . . ." Or "Error downloading." And this is with the WiFi connection working.

I'm beginning to suspect either problems with the installations of the Nook Android app or CM7. (How do you uninstall an app under Android? Where's the manual?)

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm, I don't think it is CM7 since it seems to work fine for me though I haven't tried recently to see if downloads are working. It sort of sounds like it might be a B&N server side issue given the error messages. So waiting a while for them to come bak might be the key.

It could I suppose be a bad install of the app as well. Titanium Backup (TB) is a useful app to have and can unistall apps (you can also do it through Settings>Applications>Manage Applications) as well as back them up so you might want to try that out. First you can wipe the App data in TB and see if that helps. If not you can try an uninstall.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just confirmed, though with a magazine, that once you download B&N content with the wifi it should still be available without wifi. If it isn't a B&N server issue you may have a little glitch someplace.

JP

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
I just confirmed, though with a magazine, that once you download B&N content with the wifi it should still be available without wifi. If it isn't a B&N server issue you may have a little glitch someplace.

JP

Thanks for the follow-up. Someone on Club Nook suggested that I might have the Nook App installed on the SD card and not the internal memory, and that might be part of the problem. I'm going to uninstall and re-install: how do I make sure it gets installed on the internal memory? Have the SD card out when it installs?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the follow-up. Someone on Club Nook suggested that I might have the Nook App installed on the SD card and not the internal memory, and that might be part of the problem. I'm going to uninstall and re-install: how do I make sure it gets installed on the internal memory? Have the SD card out when it installs?

Sure try that and see if that does it.

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
Sure try that and see if that does it.

Did it twice. First time there was some garbling and some books said they downloaded but didn't open. Uninstalled, reinstalled, redownloaded one at a time. They all opened. WiFi closed out at one point, went back in and all were marked as not downloaded again.

So, now I'm wondering if I have issues with the CM7 install. I think I'm at the point where I either have to go back and redo the CM7 install or restore to NC stock. Either is a similar pain in the butt. And with the Nook Android App not finding sideloaded/non BN content, I'm tempted to go back to stock.

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
I did in fact go back to stock. I'm leaving on a trip, so it's essential that I have a working e-reader. We may try to nooter it in a few weeks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

Amy MacEvilly

Jun 4, 2011
I don't think that would fit the way I use the Nook. I really wanted to root it so that I could copy and paste from the reader or the Web browser to a notepad app. I don't think a dual boot will work with the way I use/want to use the Nook.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I just discovered that I am having the same issue. I downloaded a book the other day and was able to open it. When I tried to offline on the train today it would not open. If I tapped on the book the screen would briefly flash white and then return to the library. (I could see the page marker in the corner indicating I had opened it previously and was no longer on page 1.) If I held my finger on the book I got a popup window and I could "view contents", but if I tried to open it I got a general BN error and had to force close. I sent a note to B&N and we'll see if they have a solution. I am sure the app was not designed this way. My Kindle app works fine.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think that would fit the way I use the Nook. I really wanted to root it so that I could copy and paste from the reader or the Web browser to a notepad app. I don't think a dual boot will work with the way I use/want to use the Nook.

You can copy and paste from reader to notepad to browser in any configuration (rooted, custom ROM or bootable SD). The copy and paste is independent of how you are running the OS.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just discovered that I am having the same issue. I downloaded a book the other day and was able to open it. When I tried to offline on the train today it would not open. If I tapped on the book the screen would briefly flash white and then return to the library. (I could see the page marker in the corner indicating I had opened it previously and was no longer on page 1.) If I held my finger on the book I got a popup window and I could "view contents", but if I tried to open it I got a general BN error and had to force close. I sent a note to B&N and we'll see if they have a solution. I am sure the app was not designed this way. My Kindle app works fine.

Yes, this seems to be a problem with the B&N app. Once downloaded you shouldn't have any issues accesing the content. Seems like the downloads and coming through correctly or being read correctly by the app in certain cases. Probably some drm issue they haven't worked through.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Yes, this seems to be a problem with the B&N app. Once downloaded you shouldn't have any issues accesing the content. Seems like the downloads and coming through correctly or being read correctly by the app in certain cases. Probably some drm issue they haven't worked through.

Do you know if this seems to be CM7 specific or just a general problem with the app?

BTW, B&N got back to me and told me to refresh by logging out and then back in and re-downloading the file. Well, I had already done that as well as restored the app from a backup and still no good. This is quite frustrating....