Nook Color by Barnes & Noble WiFi (Refurbished) $180 + $2.95 shipping

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Very nice find Rico. Almost makes me want to get #3 :D

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
More evidence that the replacement is almost here. As soon as the new model is out and tested I might buy another unit. Which model will depend on how much difference there is between the two.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
WHY this is a GREAT BARGAIN

I spent the last 2 weeks playing with a motorola xoom -bought it from costco full price ($867 total with tax) with the full knowledge i have 90 days to try and return - after a couple of weeks, i find myself gravitating back to the nook color - here's why

1) the weight and size becomes unwieldy - i handcarried my nook everywhere i went, it fit nicely in a jacket pocket, so easy to plop at a coffee shop pull it out and read - with the xoom i might as well carry a laptop coz i still need a bag to carry it in
2) the nook color screen looks much better and brighter - perhaps because it is smaller, but the xoom even with the big real estate, the website i visited still uses the same font so everything looked smaller and a after a while my eyes got tired
3) a lot of apps i enjoy with my nook FC on the xoom - fabdango, netflix to name a few, others don't look very good - Huffington post pictures for example were designed for a smaller screen and looked shapr on nook but blurry on xoom
4) when i lie in bed at night, i usually plop the nook on my chest, watch TVSHow Stream. The xoom is unwieldy in that mode
5) When i have breakfast, lunch i na cafe, the nook fits nicely on the table so i can browse, read as i eat - the xoom, much too big
6) Honeycomb - frankly there wasn't much in it that froma usage perspective blew my mind - my nook color with regina 3d launcher and now with LCD density looks and feels just as good if not better. The lack of a persistent set of app launcher (ala app dock) across the many different screens was inconvenient
7) Xoom Market movies - too expensinve $3.99 to $4.99 - netflix is much cheaper, or go and get MegaViewer Pro

now what i like about the xoom - great bluetooth - so music and video watching and video calls through tango, large real estate to see a whole web page. Having a camera is a plus but i thought my samsung galaxy tab took better pictures than the xoom - oh just FYI, i bought a certified pre-owned samsung galaxy tab for $149 with a $20 1GB 3G plan. I am also loving the SGT - only drawback is netflix does not work (no i did not root it yet)

oh and lastly, i returned the xoom, took the cast, went on craigslist and plopped $700 for a limited edition Google I/O Limited edition Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab with Verizone 4G LTE mifi - will commence testing after i return from a biz trip this week - but initial look was 'wow'

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Anima, I wish you would have opened a thread for this great comparison so more people would have seen it!
Looking forward for the next one
Gg

wls

Apr 17, 2011
Alas, $261 for shopping from Canada (and our dollar is worth more than US right now!). For Canadians, better to buy at a nearby U.S. Best Buy.

kat3k

Apr 15, 2011
Sounds great, but that discount code at overstock no longer works. Just tried it.